• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

dumb question

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Hey Motor Grader, I think if you reproduce the book into a pdf and then start a thread on here with the subject being the book title and suggest a sticky post, the administrator of the website will set it up permanently so anyone coming along later can access it. Thanks for offering it up to everyone!!!

That would go for anyone else that has a book they want to add to the sticky post.

Bluetop Man

Occupation
farmer
Funny. I did not see any GPS poles sticking up on those graders. I reckon back in that day, an OPERATOR didn't need GPS.

Interesting what you can learn from a book. I was fired once for using the centershift on a CASE blade delivering material between the rear wheels. The foreman, a master craftsman on a backhoe, just couldn't understand that. I learned it from reading the manual that came with a new 12G in 1978 while working for T.L. James, and have never seen anyone else using this technique. Which is great for keeping baserock under control while running out the edges. "Course, I probably didn't need to say that here. Ya'll can probably read, being as you got this far on this post.:D

Radrock

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Funny. I did not see any GPS poles sticking up on those graders. I reckon back in that day, an OPERATOR didn't need GPS.

Interesting what you can learn from a book. I was fired once for using the centershift on a CASE blade delivering material between the rear wheels. The foreman, a master craftsman on a backhoe, just couldn't understand that. I learned it from reading the manual that came with a new 12G in 1978 while working for T.L. James, and have never seen anyone else using this technique. Which is great for keeping baserock under control while running out the edges. "Course, I probably didn't need to say that here. Ya'll can probably read, being as you got this far on this post.:D

Well how else can you cut a 4' flat bottom ditch? haha. I wonder if motorgrader is still around here? that post was from June 2011. Wonder if he got his book done. I've seen a book like that before but been a long long time ago.

Bluetop Man

Occupation
farmer
Rule of Thumb of leaning the front tires: If drinking beer, lean wheels left that day. If whiskey, lean right. Whacked out on wine, position tires straight up and down as wine does not affect motor grader operators that much like it does dozer and scraper hands.

Jim M

Occupation
Plant Operator
I would like a copy as well please as I've just started a year ago on a 140H. I live in the UK and grader operators are more rarer here than in the states especially if you need a bit of advice. I have Learnt a great deal of information from this site on grader operation and i am thankful for all you operators giving your secrets to the youger generation of operators like my self cheers.

Jim

yakka68

Aveling Barford 99H

I would also appreciate some information, would be interested in obtaining the 99H book. We have a 99H on a farm in Western Australia that we have owned for over 30 years.

Simon

Bluetop Man

Occupation
farmer
I've always heard that John Deere had the first articulating motor grader. But obviously in that brochure the Huber is articulating by way of the rear axle. So maybe Deere had the first articulating frame grader, but perhaps Huber did the shimmy first.

The Huber also looks like it is doing pretty well with only a single axle rear end.

Champion continues this setup today with the C60/66 Series graders, with optional hydraulic front wheel assist. Huber probably didn't offer back in the day. But I don't recall ever even seeing one, so that's just a wild guess on my part.

The Champion in this factory photo actually looks like it's not doing quite as well as the Huber.

http://www.championmotorgraders.us/images/gallery images/C60B_FB_DSC_0417.jpg

Bluetop Man

Occupation
farmer
Yes, the Champion is much smaller.

A thought: If use of a single rear axle in lieu of a tandem will reduce the selling price new by an estimated $20,000, would it then be advantageous to turn around and pour the twenty grand into a larger single rear machine similar to the Huber?

I have to admit I am intrigued by the single rear end with the optional front wheel hydraulic drive assist. Seems like this will reduce the number of potential problems with fewer tires and less mechanical apparatus, no drive chains. Of course, this assumes the front wheel drive assist is relatively trouble-free. And effective in replacing traction lost by elimination of the tandem.

Lotta ifs present here.

Bluetop Man

Occupation
farmer
Sorry, stock, but it seems like an M Series CAT grader can bring on more trouble than it's worth up against the Huber or the Champion...:D

Last edited:

Madmark73

Occupation
In the mining industry.
Here is the somewhat weird story of how I located the book. My dealer from Australia had mentioned the existance of this book to me. I searched the internet high and low with absolutely no results. When I tried contacting someone in Peoria (CAT) I might as well had been calling the man in the moon. Then I was in Australia for a couple weeks doing sales training. He continued to talk about this book. So when I got home I googled it one more time and guess what? It showed up in the search results. A book store in Australia had it! I guess having my computer plugged in Australia changed my search results???? Anyway, I bought it. On the back the following appears to have been printed....not stamped but actually printed:
William Adams Tractors Pty. Limited. Tractor Division - Oakleigh, Victoria Australia. Its a rare book and to know CAT actually published and went as far to print the dealer name on the back cover made it that much more unique. Not to mention the travels this book has seen.

Tell you guys what....Sometime in the next week or so I will take the time to shoot every page with my nikon camera. Its much better than my scanner. I will assemble in a .pdf and email to anyone that wants the book. Im happy you guys found some interest in it. It even has a section on turning the moldboard around and grading backwards!!! Many of the mysteries talked about here on HEF are about to be solved.

Would love a copy if possible mate? Komar6973@gmail.com
Thanks for your info!