• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

DT466E or DT466

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Can't tell if if this engine is a DT466E or just DT466 looks to be just plain DT466 from the lack of ECU above the injector pump. Also has coolant in the oil which means possible blown head gasket (I doubt) pitted liner or leaking oil cooler with only 200k miles don't see how that was possible. You guys thinks it worth it if I rebuild it myself, just need to pull up to 20k lbs. Let the opinions and facts fly!!!
https://billings.craigslist.org/hvo/d/billings-1997-international-4900/7106090499.html#

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
View attachment 215121 Wouldn’t a non E have a mechanical fuel pump?

200k miles could be 30k hours.

It looks clean, if it was near here I’d look at it for a parts vehicle at least. I have a 2002 4700 which should have a lot of similar parts.
That's what I was thinking and I have a DT466 mechanical already, looking at it $2500 would turn to $4500 after fixing and I cringe at having to replace the liners.

AllDodge

Mine is a 97 and it's not an E model

Easiest way to know its not an E model is look on the dash behind the steering wheel on the right. It will have a Tee fuel shut off cable

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Mine is a 97 and it's not an E model

Easiest way to know its not an E model is look on the dash behind the steering wheel on the right. It will have a Tee fuel shut off cable
Welp it's a E version, I just don't find it cost effective for my use on rebuilding it versus how much power it puts out with fact I see no trailer air brake lines which I like to have for possible future use.

AllDodge

Welp it's a E version, I just don't find it cost effective for my use on rebuilding it versus how much power it puts out with fact I see no trailer air brake lines which I like to have for possible future use.

From the pics I'm seeing it would be hidden behind the wheel
The key switch would be on the left and cant see that area either

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
My 99 4700 is an E if that helps. I think the year IH went with the 466E was 1998 - not sure about that.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
My 97 non-E and has juice brakes
Yeah that's same under this hood on my current rig I have, but is too long to tow my stuff back from Washington state, wouldn't trust the juice brakes to hold the weight going over continental divide grades and I'm already loaded with weight. So either (A) I get another semi with such features or (B) gather parts to convert the Dodge 3500 someone gave me from auto to manual since transmission is shot. Problem also with (B) there is 385,000 miles on the said truck and has been exposed to salt water it's 14 years and it's in another few states over.

AllDodge

No comprenda por va vor
Wouldn't use 26000 pound truck with juice brakes but would use a 3/4 pick up.

As Ricky Recardo says esplain Lucy

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
No comprenda por va vor
Wouldn't use 26000 pound truck with juice brakes but would use a 3/4 pick up.

As Ricky Recardo says esplain Lucy
Never said I wouldn't do it, just " possibly" wouldn't rebuild a engine in a truck that cost me $2500 then turn around another $1500 or more in parts and try to do this in a open pasture. One thing to fix one it's another to crack open a engine to fix it.
What it will cost to pay someone to move my stuff is as much as buying a rig to move it, which in basics of what is needed moved is 40' shipping container converted into a 5th wheel, a Zetor 9540 fully dressed out, and a full 20' shipping container except I'm renting the shipping container so it has to stay just my contents need to go.
With that said there is three options:
(A) 1 ton Dodge 3500 as said of current condition in last post (that I don't trust)
(B) 29' beverage truck that has been converted (which is too long to pull 5th wheel and has no place for 5th wheel)
(C) Another truck which I rather it have air brakes and a 5th wheel hitch

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Now this looks teasing, if I could just get it down a $1,000. I got till this "beer" virus lockdown is over with to find something so I can move my 5th wheel cause soon as that's up the guy is going to be a jerk and jack my monthly storage up to $300 to $500 a month for a 5th wheel.:mad: Irks me I fixed his sewage for free, his car for free, washer for free and only charged him $1,200 to do a roof on his house he paid for materials.:mad: I'm sure I fixed more than that for free while paying rent and won't give me a break now. When someone sends a money request weeks in advance for rent it causes me to levitate. Anywho here is the link, anyone see anything wrong besides mismatched steer tires or something else I should be aware of?
https://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trucks/for-sale/192786927/1979-freightliner-800-coe

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
In this day and age, would be shying away from ANYTHING older than 1995, and Yes I am aware my old crap is FAR Older but I do not have to rely of it. Twenty years old on a HD Chassis is a LOT of time and abuse. That ex Boat or Car hauler Frtlnr was curious but would be a Nose anchor in soft ground. S Series Corn Queen 2300, 2500 series pretty easy to still get parts or work on and NOT Juice Brakes, getting newer going in the 4000 series trucks then are the Business Class Freightliners and some other makes in that Class Seven category.