• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dt466 grey smoke blowing oil out exhaust

Hhauling

I’ve got a 1988 dt466c 210hp reman engine bosch mw pump with unknown miles, very little blow by.
Was driving the truck the other day and it just took a dive in power and started smoking heavy black smoke under acceleration and steady grey smoke at idle. My first thought was a stuck open injector. I removed all injector lines and spun the engine over to check and see if one was stuck open that didn’t alert to any issue. I did however change injector three & six for remans. Still did not fix any issue. At this point after idling while trying to diagnosis my problem I noticed oil coming from the hot side of the turbo, so I replaced the turbo. I noticed oil inside of #3 cylinder exhaust port and some but not as much on #2. Turbo did not clear up any issue either. Truck doesn’t appear to be loosing oil but is blowing a fair amount of black liquid out exhaust. Just looking for some help any way I can get it.

AllDodge

Was driving the truck the other day and it just took a dive in power and started smoking heavy black smoke under acceleration and steady grey smoke at idle.

I would suggest checking compression

and your fuel is not real old?

AllDodge

Agree unless it had some water in it and something broke.
If not that, I would go back to check compression

cfherrman

My thoughts was on the turbo and after you changed it there might be a lot of oil in the exhaust still, see if you can run the exhaust off to be sure but I don't think this is it.

Hhauling

My thoughts was on the turbo and after you changed it there might be a lot of oil in the exhaust still, see if you can run the exhaust off to be sure but I don't think this is it.
I ran it for about 35 minutes this morning. Oil (or whatever it is) just dribbles out of the exhaust and the slip joint on the manifold. But the strange thing is I’m not loosing oil so I have my suspicions that it may be fuel in soot mixing but I’ve swapped the #3 injector where most of the substance was located when I pulled the manifold with 2 different injectors still same results.

mekanik

Had a school bus come to the shop last summer with a Maxxfarce with the same complaint. Turned out the driver filled it with gasoline by mistake. My dad bought a new diesel pickup in the early 1990s and the first time he put fuel in it from the diesel pump he filled it with a mix of gas and diesel. The guy delivering fuel to the gas station filled the underground diesel tank with gasoline.

AllDodge

One time I mixed gas with diesel in my new to me truck, I then had a 3000 Lb paper weight that need all the fuel pumped out

Hhauling

Had a school bus come to the shop last summer with a Maxxfarce with the same complaint. Turned out the driver filled it with gasoline by mistake. My dad bought a new diesel pickup in the early 1990s and the first time he put fuel in it from the diesel pump he filled it with a mix of gas and diesel. The guy delivering fuel to the gas station filled the underground diesel tank with gasoline.
I’ll siphon some out of the tank and check it tomorrow I did get fuel at a small country store so it could be a possibility. I’ve bout ran out of ideas my self and money to boot!

Hhauling

I'd check the shaft from both sides. It sounds like you broke the turbo.
I just took it out of the box last night. May have 35 minutes of run time showing the same symptoms as the one I just took off of it. I’m not real turbo savy but I just find it hard to fathom that a brand new one would do the same thing right off the bat. But with the week I’ve had anything would be possible.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
So sorry, i passed right over the replaced turbo part. Looking at the turbo that failed. Was the compressor side wet? You said the exhaust was wet at 2 & 3 which would make sense since the turbo outlet feeds right into the area feeding 2 & 3. Oil would naturally accumulate there first. If the compressor side was dry and the intake was dry, that only leaves injectors. As cfherrman pointed out, it could be residual. Unless you wash it clean with brake cleaner, the only way to get rid of the slobber is to run her hard under load to "burn" it out.