• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dt466 chronic hard start

AJMayo94

Either you've got a bad overflow valve or your sucking air. Have you taken the bowl off the rock catcher? Have you verified that the o-ring is sealing and not allowing fuel to drain back.
You said you pressurised the tank to get a prime. Are you gauging this pressure? Beyond 5-6 psi, you run the risk of ballooning your tank. If you're pressurizing, cap the return line. This will cause fuel pressure to act on the suction side. Look for anything collecting fuel. If no fuel escapes, no leaks.
If you look at fuel lines to and from injection pump body, you will have a banjo line from the lift pump . That's inlet and will have a hollow screw. The return fitting will be your overflow. It will either be a banjo screw with a spring loaded plunger or it will be on a stand-off valve with a hollow screw. In that case the stand-off will be the overflow.

Okay so it’s the stand off valve with hollow screw. I order the banjo style one I read that it can be used in place of the stand off style overflow valve unless you know that to be false. International dealer having a hell of a time looking up parts for me so I’m kinda stuck ordering Cummins stuff off eBay

I think I’m sucking air before the primer ball because I can’t get it to pump up hard at all. If I crack the lines and bleed them it’s like, continuously pushing fuel and air. That primer ball used to get rock hard and it would fire right up. I am going to get that rock catcher off soon. In hospital right now wife having a baby lol

View attachment 232314

Unscrew that "+" sign and the check ball is in there. Atleast that is where mine is located on my DT530E.

as soon as we get this baby delivered I’m going to unscrew it and see. I’m hoping that is it. It definitely drains back to the tank overnight.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
If primer pump won't "firm up" your overflow valve is leaking. That's why it'll run the rest of the day. Its running off the overflows orifice once its running.
If nothing leaks when pressurizing, you ain't suckin air. If it sucks air, it WILL leak fuel .

AJMayo94

If primer pump won't "firm up" your overflow valve is leaking. That's why it'll run the rest of the day. Its running off the overflows orifice once its running.

If nothing leaks when pressurizing, you ain't suckin air. If it sucks air, it WILL leak fuel .

When I “pressurize” I get the compressor up to like 15/20 psi and I take a red rag block the full cap and a blow gun and barely shoot air I don’t think I’m putting more than 5psi in there just enough to get it to the pump. But I mean it feels like that primer pump isn’t pulling anything but air these days. You can pump and pump indefinitely 100-200 pumps and it still feels like air no change in resistance like you used to get and you can tell it’s moving fuel

I’ll put the overflow on it and check out the check ball and report back. You guys are super helpful. Kudos

AJMayo94

Got the baby situation under control and maybe the dt466 too!

Put the overflow banjo $18.00 special on the bad overflow nipple yesterday, this morning 5 pumps on the hand primer and she fired up. Also replaced that check ball, but it looked to be in fine shape.

hoping this is a permanent fix. If it gives me any more grief I am thinking I will just put the in line pump on it.