1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Dry freight recession

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Truck Shop, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

fry cook
    With the bottom falling out of dry/intermodal freight, 670 large , medium and small freight companies bit the dust in 2019. And it is expected run well into 2020 to at least October 2020. it was taking a year on delivery of new tractors now
    it's dropped to two months, truck manufacturing fell almost 65%. There will be thousands of used tractors hitting the market, only problem is most are low rate fleet spec'ed equipment and needing most likely a ton of repairs, because those companies ran the crap out of them with no maintenance because they knew the end was near. And for the rest that are still operating same thing-running tires, brakes and what have you right down to nothing. Which doesn't make for safe highways. JMHO and Fact.

2. mowingman

mowingman Senior Member

Paccar Leasing is headquartered in our town. Right behind the Peterbilt plant, they have built and opened a new, used truck facility. The lot is loaded with what appears to be fleet speced trucks from either lease returns or possibly lease/purchase defaults. I bet there is already 200 trucks in that new lot.

DMiller and Truck Shop like this.
  3. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

fry cook
    Freightliner had the same problem back in the late 90's early 00, a ton of lease trucks came back/returned so they built a plant in Utah that removed the integral sleeper-reskinned the back of the cab
    and made day cabs out of them to sell them off. Came completely inspected with fresh paint and new interior. Trucks will be piling up like 737's only by the thousands.

DMiller and RZucker like this.
  4. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    I recall in the early 2000's Paccar lease returns were an excellent deal, 150K miles on a lease maintenance program. Today I would be more than a bit leary. :eek:

5. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

What about the driver shortage they are crying about?

6. funwithfuel

funwithfuel Senior Member

Mechanic
    Maybe this will help weed out the gimmegrants that can't and won't learn our language. I'm not talking about just the ones from down south of the border, but the Europeans, middle easterners, south Americans and the Haitians. When I was in heavy truck , during the 90s, trucks were maintained , it was planned and budgeted. Somehow towards the early 2ks we went from scheduled maintenance to breakdown maintenance. At the same time I observed an influx of unskilled non communicating foreigners running rigs into the ground. I could be over generalizing, but that's how I observed it.

7. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

fry cook
    Unfortunately what happens is freight rates will get under cut, the gipo trucker will undercut the rate and still
    go under. It won't weed out the drivers that will work for a plate of ham and eggs, german dogs or a bucket
    of greasy chicken. As long as they can afford to buy a new wife beater shirt they will work for nothing.

8. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    It is only a sign of things to come. Call in the dogs, **** on the fire and head it on back to Bow Legs.

9. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

fry cook
    It's one reason I've always tried to work for a refrigerated truck line, two things a person absolutely
    has to have 1st is water 2nd is food.

DMiller, Camshawn and funwithfuel like this.
  10. funwithfuel

funwithfuel Senior Member

Mechanic
    Dont forget garbage, it sucks but the garbage always moves. That's what I was doing during the Obama recession. If it wasn't for landfills and transfer stations I would have surely been laid off.

11. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

fry cook
    That's true-but it takes rotten food to make garbage what it is, so first it has to hit the grocery store.lol

DMiller and funwithfuel like this.
  12. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

fry cook
    Because of the overflow of used trucks [about 35,000 trucks] the bottom fell out of trade in value about
    $10,000 to $15,000 less depending on truck specifications and brand.

DMiller likes this.
  13. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

What are you guys seeing in this sector now that a couple months have gone by?

DMiller likes this.
  14. hvy 1ton

hvy 1ton Senior Member

I imagine nothing good. BNSF Gardner Intermodal yard was looking sparse this weekend.

DMiller likes this.
  15. mowingman

mowingman Senior Member

Went buy the used lot at Paccar yesterday. It is crammed full of trucks for sale. Noticed some big names on the doors of some of them.

DMiller likes this.
  16. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    And yet the dimwits are still advertising late 1990s power in the $20-30K range needing all manner of work because is a Pete or KW.

17. AzIron

AzIron Senior Member

The other thing is these trade in over the road trucks are not really useful for construction guys and I dont mean as work a voc truck should be doing but there is no second life market

But most make a terrible lowboy truck or anything close there just to cheap and geared to high for city work

DMiller likes this.
  18. 92U 3406

92U 3406 Senior Member

Professional Wrench Spinner
    I believe it. Then add in the ELOG inflation on top of that for the folks that can't make a nickle unless they run illegal.

DMiller likes this.
  19. 92U 3406

92U 3406 Senior Member

Professional Wrench Spinner
    No lockers, no ground clearance, castrated engines, tiny tires, autos, light power train, suspension etc. Pretty much just shake apart once you leave the pavement lol.

DMiller likes this.
  20. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

s/e Heavy equipment operator
    Sounds like a truck spec'd to bean counters ;)

Tugger2 and DMiller like this.