• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Drum Mulching Head Specs

Jmiller26b

I am looking at forestry drum mulchers for either a John Deere 333G or Cat 299D skid steer. I realize that both are important but if one had to be sacrificed what is more important in terms of hydraulics for the best head performance? GPM of flow or PSI? The John Deere has a 41.1 GPM flow @ 3450 PSI. The Cat that I am looking at has a 32 GPM flow @ 4061 PSI.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Both flow and pressure are important. Flow= speed, Pressure =power but pressure also =more heat. From other forums I see neither is a good choice for mulching. Most have a liking for the ASV RT120.

Jmiller26b

Both flow and pressure are important. Flow= speed, Pressure =power but pressure also =more heat. From other forums I see neither is a good choice for mulching. Most have a liking for the ASV RT120.
Thanks Tones! Makes perfect sense! I have seen those ASV's but I want to do other jobs with the skid steer than just mulching and think the Deere or Cat would be better in those areas. Trying to find a balance lol

Tones

Occupation
Do your homework on the 299. Apparently they burn very easily when using mulchers. I don't know if Cat has fixed the problem

AllDodge

I hear the ASV is the way to go. Buddy just bought a used 2020 Takeuchi TL12V2 and its a beast with a Bradco mulcher. Does a good job and can pump more flow then the attachments can handle

Tones

Occupation
I have used the RT75 with a Fecon mulcher and that went well. Remember they are all skid steer loaders and a 120 will work just as well as a 299 doing dirt work.

daveyclimber

I would go Cat if you have the dealer support, otherwise Deere if you live in a rural AG area with Deere support. Whichever you choose, become well versed in cleaning the machine thoroughly or it will burn. Lots of books and crannies and hard to reach areas in ctl's

Jmiller26b

Yes that is true! There is a guy that does it around here with his big excavator and he burnt up his excavator doing this. Expensive mistake that possibly could have been avoided!

catman13

Occupation
refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
go with cat :), it does not matter the brand if you dont keep it clean it WILL change color

SierraSpartan

I have a 2015 299d XHP with a Fecon head on it. Power is great, dealer support is great. Really, a beast of a machine. I love it. That said, it is extremely tempermental. Unless you have a bit of machinery, mechanical, and most importantly electrical experience, buy new for the warranty. I have had more downtime than work time replacing sensors, fuses, wiring harnesses. One short and the whole machine is a garage ornament.

Tones

Occupation
Would you buy the latest 299?