• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Drum changes

Blowandgo

Hello I am new to this forum but never the less i am interested in saving time. i would love some advice if u will on speeding up changing drum primarily in wirtgens. i have questions like what kind of carts do you use,do they have casters or wheels or just skids.do you leave the belt housing on the drum or install it after (only on a half lane 12ft is 2peice) how many of you change the belt tension. do any of you drain the water before removal. and as alwys we all love pictures. on my side of town we can swap a half with a full in about 5-6 hours with a 4man crew. i would love to hear some input from some of the other guys out thier who swap drums

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
Good Question....I'm interested in this same thing..

With Wirtgen they attempt to sell the entire housing with the sized drum inside it, I have seen limited applications like this in actual use, takes about 4 hours with the drum already IN the housing, slide it under the machine on a belly pan which has caster wheels on it, a few bolt ups and quick attach hydraulics...off you go.

Actual drum remove and install on a Wirtgen is about 6 hours with 2 people on it, CMI/Roadtec about the same. Wirtgen have that different style of drum bearing and have that outer case on the pulley wheel side which takes a little bit more time...