1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

driveway job this weekend

Discussion in 'Jobsite Coordination' started by skyking1, Sep 6, 2021.

1. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

I left the house at 4 AM for the 6~7 hour drive to the wild north east Washington. I had envisioned crossing off the main road over a ditch at right angles, but the reality was different. There was an existing culvert under the main road, pointing down a drainage swale that picked up both sides of the road up hill. It was a great spot for me to set a culvert and cross at a better angle.
    PXL_20210904_145004074.jpg PXL_20210904_145056762.jpg
    As you may see, the dirt is absolutely dry flour silt. It flows like water and has no structural capacity. We bedded the pipe with it and since we are on the neighbor's property I was constrained from altering grades or stealing dirt. The goal was to minimize impact there.
    I carefully hoe packed the pipe, and also the other culvert in the low spot on his property. I knew I had to go heavy over the pipe with the rock.
    I did not stop to take pictures so I snapped these from the truck as I drove out.
    This is the 150' of road on the easement. I burned 4 solo loads here to make it finished. In retrospect I could have saved one for the rest of the job, because we only got 7!
    PXL_20210905_205108107.jpg PXL_20210905_205122738.jpg

Labparamour likes this.
  2. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

I put down a 20' length and a 3' scrap, and covered about 18' of it. It was really nice to get the turn started off the road before getting to the culvert and setting it at the angle determined by the existing swale. It is plenty of room for turning on with a long trailer.
    Here you can just make out the galvanized culvert pipe I was matching to. It is pretty beat on both ends :)
    PXL_20210905_205120840-1.jpg

From the uphill end. We are on the neighbor's property at this point, and much to our dismay at the mercy of free ranging cattle. We did not sleep well at all Friday. They were curious and basically assaulted us all night.
    PXL_20210904_145004074-1.jpg

I told him I did not need much of a gate, and he opened up 15' for me. I tossed the strippings through the gap with the mini and did all the stripping with it on that 150'. After I got through I used the dozer, and it was a prodigious windrow of organics. I left it there to rot down along the road.
    All of this was done Friday afternoon after the dozer was delivered. The dozer rental moved up the deilvery from 3 PM to " can you come pay for it now?" at 8 AM.
    I suggested he hit up the rock delivery guy and we were teased with the dream of 1 PM rock on Friday. By 4 we knew that was not happening :)
    I got up into the property and the dozer is on a sidehill up in the distance. The flour was no good for fill, but luckily the place the dozer is sitting on and the slope to the left of it are really bony with nice angular rock mixed in. Very fortunate for me.
    PXL_20210904_144916995.jpg
    I cut a slope to the left there, sorry I forgot to take much of a picture of that, and took it across and built a good fill to straighten up the side hill and also soften the approach to that crown beyond.
    You can just see the tail of that slope in this picture, but I robbed quite a bit off that knob.
    PXL_20210905_205033162.jpg
    In retrospect I could have mined the heck out of it and really softened the approach past the leaverite.
    That was it for Friday afternoon.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    Labparamour likes this.
  3. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

Saturday was a late start. I slept in after not sleeping much thanks to the bovines.
    We got the second culvert set in the area of the greenery and low spot that was below the draw.
    The driver showed up about 8:30 and was not really pleased about being " volunteered" to work on a Saturday of the holiday weekend. I don't blame him.
    He dropped that load and I protected the culvert with it. On the next round Mark handed him a $200 tip for coming out on a Saturday, and that put a smile on his face and we went to work.

Labparamour likes this.
  4. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

The second culvert we set down in the low spot by the mini in this picture. That brush to the left is a small draw that plays out to the right, and the greenery there indicates that it stays wet for a while.
    PXL_20210905_010751109.jpg

I cut a very shallow dent of a ditch next to the road, and he can fill that with rock if he likes. It will still do the job of giving water somewhere to go. I also cut another little swale behind the brush to intercept any surface water and divert it to the pipe before it got to the road. You can just see it on the left here. I headed it up to catch the edge of the fill area too.
    PXL_20210904_145056762.jpg
    He started gathering up spalls to armor the inlet.
    PXL_20210905_205058162.jpg

5. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

He hired a well witcher and he put a stake in, so I suggested I cut a road to that area for the drillers. They are months behind due to all sorts of low water table and failing wells, but at least I got it done while the dozer was on site.
    Heading off the knob I had stripped at the top. All I was doing was plucking the big rocks, not stripping needlessly.
    PXL_20210905_010405507.jpg
    PXL_20210905_010425769.jpg

As I got around the corner it got steep and side hill. Nobody wants to take their $150,000 drill rig onto fill, so I cut it and also laid it back against the hill for security. The stake and ribbon are there on the right.
    PXL_20210905_010504062.jpg

I dug 10 perk holes to get 4 good ones yesterday morning. The other 6 were too rocky to get down to 6' deep.

After we got done I had to road the dozer 3/4s of a mile down to where the lowboy could get it. I put 6.2 hours on what was a 16 hour rental. The outfit said they would do a day and a half charge under 12 hours, I hope they stick to that for him. 600 a day plus 300 delivery was not cheap but there were only two choices and we thought they were the best.
    Unfortunately it was equipped with a winch, which was so handy when tearing out that harder rock......NOT!
    PXL_20210904_221647589.jpg
    They do have a ripper equipped D5 but it is very popular. i can see why :)

CM1995 and mks like this.
  6. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

We talked on the phone and he had two more loads spread where it was thin by the boulder, and 3 loads of 2 minus on the area I stripped at the top. He was worried about mud and it will be useful for at least a season or two until he finalizes the location of things.

Coaldust likes this.
  7. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    I'm jealous sky! Nothing better than being able to design/build a road or a driveway across virgin ground. No plans, no stakes, no white hat supervisors - just build the best damn drive you can that will last the customer years.

skyking1 likes this.
  8. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

In afterthought I did not build as good a road as was possible. I may have wasted about 2 $250 loads of rock in that area, but when he figures out where the house and shop are going, he can get the D5 with rippers out for 1 day.
    I can rob that knob of rocky stuff and totally take out that low spot you see, and put a lift that goes about halfway up the leaverite boulder as I go by.
    It would be about 200 yards of material moving. I will watch how the road performs and suggest it when we go back at it.

EDIT: I forgot to include a decent picture of the leaverite boulder.
    PXL_20210905_205044913-2.jpg

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    CM1995 and John C. like this.