• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Driveline Disconnect

ThatGuysFarm

I was talking to a guy today and he told me that some haul truck have a driveline disconnect for when they are going to go road speed. I'm looking for some information, pictures, dimensions, and where to buy these. He said its a stand alone unit. Now I have never been around a haul truck so I know nothing about them. Any information would be great. Thanks

HATCHEQUIP

Havent heard that but some rough terrain cranes have pump disconnects to keep some of the hydraulic pumps from spinning.

ThatGuysFarm

Havent heard that but some rough terrain cranes have pump disconnects to keep some of the hydraulic pumps from spinning.
The guy I was talking to is 89 years old so maybe it was a 70s or 80s thing. I was surfing around some more and I think it might be on the articulated dump trucks to disengage the front axle for road gear. But I can't find any pictures of one to see how they go together.

HATCHEQUIP

Ok now I understand what your saying and yes a disconnect for all wheel to 2 wheel is common on many pieces of equipment usually done in the dropbox of the transmission.

ThatGuysFarm

Ok now I understand what your saying and yes a disconnect for all wheel to 2 wheel is common on many pieces of equipment usually done in the dropbox of the transmission.
So it's an intergraded part of the transmission? Do you know what brands, models, or what make of transmissions had this? This guy though they had stand alone units the were divorced from the trans. Maybe different brands had it different ways? I don't know, I'm looking to learn more about them.

Bigbert

Occupation
Consulting Engineer
In the 70s and 80s some wheel loaders got a rear axle disconnect. Was cancelled due to cost reasons in modern times. Deere got it back in H and J series for long haul use. The straight (rigid) drive front to rear axle is certainly fuel and tires consuming, however an axle disconnect costs some effort and is only worth the money in long haul application.

Articulated dump trucks usually got a differential gear set in transmission or dropbox output allowing differential speeds between front and rear axle AND: Is distributing torque according to number of axles. F.e. 1/3 to front (1 axle), 2/3 to rear (2 axles). These diffs can be locked to overcome critical/slippery conditions.

Real road vehicles like f.e. mobile cranes got axle disconnects to avoid internal wind up during high speed drive.