• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

dresser 540 loosing eng oil pressure

NY4533

I have a mid 80s 540 that has about 21k frame hours and 7k engine hours that looses oil pressure after a few minutes of running, looking to get some input on rebuilding or just replacing the engine. I think an overhaul would be more practical, but would like some input on this, thanks to anyone reading.

NY4533

I recently purchased the machine(with a bad transmission) just had the transmission overhauled, upon testing the new transmission is when the mechanic found the engine issue, it smoked pretty decent and you can see a good amount of vapor coming out under the machine via the crankcase breather. i have a video of it running on my cell phone, ill see if i can get it uploaded somehow

NY4533

Thanks for the replies everyone. I know this wont be a simple repair, just trying to figure out if a replacement engine is my best option or an overhaul on this current one. The later of the two is obviously best but its also a lot more costly, ill update with progress!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Replacement may be scarce as Hen's teeth, rebuild is always a alternative. As to failed trans what failed? Did converter get slammed or over pressured, could have wiped a thrust bearing.

mitch504

What engine is in it?

If you had no blowby and no oil consumption, it could be as simple as dropping the pan and rolling bearings in, or changing the oil pump.

NY4533

Dmiller- The shop that did the transmission showed me a housing that had what looked like a hub starting to wear through a case, this was machined to correct. also did clutches and seals, outside of that and new oil, I'm not sure what he did but the torque converter was not removed.

Mitch- I'm sure it will need at least bearings, sleeves and pistons, likely. I checked the turbo, that also has fins broken so that can be added to the shopping list.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Alright then just time for the old Corn Binder to take a siesta!! Engine with blowby and low oil pressure will need to come down.