1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Dream classic powertrain ....

Discussion in 'Trucks' started by Andy1845c, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Nige

Nige Senior Member

They do manufacture RHD trucks down there specifically for the Australian market, usually for road trains AFAIK. Out of curiosity I took a look at the most recent annual sales figures available that were for 2019. Couldn't find any figures for 2020, maybe they have not been released yet.
    Not looking good - Freightliner down 32%, Western Star down 22%, Kenworth down 20%, Mack down 8%.
    In contrast - Volvo up 5%, Scania up 28%.
    Hmmmmmmm.........

2. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

Cab overs are great for maneuverability but not so nice for getting in and out of.

56wrench likes this.
  3. Nige

Nige Senior Member

One thing worth mentioning is that the Cat 3408 somewhat morphed into on-highway applications. It was always intended to be more of an earthmoving machine, marine, genset, or industrial engine. And yes it was very heavy.
    The Scania on the other hand was designed from the outset to be an on-hghway engine so it's nowhere near the weight of a 3408. It's not used for anything else.
    I know I have posted this video before, but the exhaust is music. Also you can see why conventionals would not be the favourite when the roads are as narrow as this. You'd never be able to get turned.

4. Nige

Nige Senior Member

You've not tried the latest generation then.

5. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

I'm sure they're better than the old ones you had to climb up and contort your body to get in and out. Met a couple truck drivers that were almost crippled from driving older cab overs most of their career.

6. mks

mks Well-Known Member

None currently
    Andy1845c, if you have some time and bandwidth to spare have a look at deboss garage and adept ape on YouTube.
    That Scania v8 in a r model would be cool.

Andy1845c likes this.
  7. 92U 3406

92U 3406 Senior Member

3406A I don't believe had a factory jake option, just hydraulic retarder. 3406B and up did though I believe.

8. repowerguy

repowerguy Senior Member

mixer truck mechanic
    12v71N running N-70’s or 75’s with a RTO12513. Or maybe a HT-740 Allison, even better.

56wrench and Andy1845c like this.
  9. Andy1845c

Andy1845c Well-Known Member

Electrician
    OK that truck sounds sweet. The video is giving me flashbacks to driving around Ireland with those narrow roads! Way too used to my wide open American midwest....
    I just briefly googled the opticruise gear box - does it make horrible noises when it shifts or does the video make them sound worse?
    Seriously thanks for sharing that.

10. Andy1845c

Andy1845c Well-Known Member

Electrician
    I'm young(ish) (37). I never have got a chance to drive a cab over. I sat in one once and found the way the shifter kinda stuck out the side of the doghouse to be interesting. I've never driven OTR, only local/vocational and around here the only COEs I really see have been retired to farm use hauling grain in the fall.

11. Tones

Tones Senior Member

Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
    . This bit of road takes me away back. I used to do a lot of work straightening corners and widening the road, looks like a good hiway now. I was operating a new Hitachi UH07 in them days.
    That road is the only route for oversize loads and hadazious chemicals to and from the port. Durhams Heavy Haulage from Christchurch would regularly come up there with their Superliner barking all the way. That truck is still in use today

Andy1845c likes this.
  12. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

13. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
    Single axle RV toter?

14. 92U 3406

92U 3406 Senior Member

Maybe in the future. For now just a pipe dream. Need to get the head and pump rebuilt and then replace the firewall in the cab before I can piece it back together.

old-iron-habit and Andy1845c like this.
  15. Tones

Tones Senior Member

Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
    It would be ultra cool if they had a Jacobs engine break. The Scania exhaust breaks are pitiful in both effect and sound.:D
    Mine can go up a hill 3 gears higher than coming down and that's with the same load.

16. kenh

kenh Senior Member

Sounds like two different engines, Is the tranny being punished for something?

17. petepilot

petepilot Senior Member

have heard the term slush box for years CRASH box not so much

18. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Cat on highway engines never came from the factory with jakes which includes A and B models. Those were installed on order at the truck manufacture before the engine was on
    the assembly line for truck being built. It could come with Jacob's or Pac Brake.

19. 56wrench

56wrench Senior Member

if i was building an old truck just for nostalgia sake, and to be different, a silver 8V92 (SILVERTIP 475 if i recall correctly) might be fun. one guy i worked for had one retrofitted to replace a green double'O' 8V92 in a '79 pete and it ran nicely. then he put bigger injectors in it so he could burn more fuel and shift less:rolleyes:

skyking1 likes this.
  20. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

Alot of them had the shifter beside or behind the driver. I always liked this it seamed easyer to shift.