• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dream classic powertrain ....

Andy1845c

Occupation
Electrician
So its a miserable -20F tonight in MN and I am honestly looking forward to going back to work tomorrow ive been so cooped up..
Got me browsing tractors today. Just for fun. Someday I would like to buy an 80's Mack Superliner as a nonsense restoration project. Same way some guys have a muscle car or something.

Just for fun, if you could build a drivetrain from the 80's/90s - all mechanical - no computers - what would you pick out? Engine/transmission/rear axle ratio.

I know the Mack E9 has a following, but I read that parts are getting harder to come by. What other engines were popular for muscle in that era?

dieseldog5.9

I just had the same conversation with a buddy of mine, he has an interest in an E9, but given the price of parts, I think we came around to a C15 in a superdog.

One of My customers just put an Airliner cutoff in his Superliner, with a 12 speed, and a 350 mack engine.

The 400 mack engines run pretty well also as I understand.

Andy1845c

Occupation
Electrician
There's only one option here in my eyes a 3408 with a 18 speed never late with a
I’ve read about the 3408. Never driven anything with one that I can recall. I’ve seen some stuff about them breaking crankshafts. Probably would be less of a concern on a truck I would baby as opposed to beat the snot out of daily.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
There's only one option here in my eyes a 3408 with a 18 speed never late with a
You're right on one thing. "Never late with a \8/", but I'd pick what's arguably the best truck engine ever built, the Scania V-8 as fitted to the 80s/90s 143M. And conicidentally still going strong 30 years later in the R-Series but now with up to 770HP.

Tyler d4c

You're right on one thing. "Never late with a \8/", but I'd pick what's arguably the best truck engine ever built, the Scania V-8 as fitted to the 80s/90s 143M. And conicidentally still going strong 30 years later in the R-Series but now with up to 770HP.

A Scania that just wouldn't be right in a American truck tho expressly a super pup

LN Pipeline

I too, am a fan of the Superliner. I don’t think you could make one any prettier than this.

upload_2021-2-15_15-56-0.jpeg

I’d want a KTA 1150 Cummins in it. I’ve been around a few ag tractors powered by them, and they are beasts.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
A Scania that just wouldn't be right in a American truck tho expressly a super pup
Hold on a mo'...........

Based on the OP's criteria - "Just for fun, if you could build a drivetrain from the 80's/90s - all mechanical - no computers - what would you pick out? Engine/transmission/rear axle ratio." I must have missed the bit where it said the project had to be built on an American truck chassis....... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Already building it. 3406 PCTA (would have put a 1693 in if I could find one), 15 speed Eaton (horseshoe shift pattern) and a single 3.73 Rockwell on Freightliner air ride.

AzIron

Hold on a mo'...........

Based on the OP's criteria - "Just for fun, if you could build a drivetrain from the 80's/90s - all mechanical - no computers - what would you pick out? Engine/transmission/rear axle ratio." I must have missed the bit where it said the project had to be built on an American truck chassis....... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You forget to Americans the only trucks that exist have long noses and am have an american flag on the vin tag

86 w900 kw with a 3406 b set at 475 to 500 with a 5 and a 4 twin stick because air shifts are for wannabes tho a 3408 might be the ticket

Truck Shop

The KTA/3408 power is way to expensive, $45,000 to rebuild. Plus too heavy-yeah those engines had power but the net load was a loss. If a air charge cooler can be installed the N14 manual STC
engine is the one to build with two piece ceramic pistons. A guy who lived near by in Milton Freewater Ore. had a Pete 379 with one that pushed 755 on the dyno. Gayle the guy I work with in the
shop had several 3408's, removed the last one some years back and installed a C15. Gayle said several times his 3408 couldn't run with Donny Luisi's N14 even on it's best day. Donny passed away
two years ago.

Reactions: JPV

Tyler d4c

Hold on a mo'...........

Sorry I ASS umed

Andy1845c

Occupation
Electrician
I like the superliners, but not exclusively. Plenty of other cool old trucks out there. I started this to see what people who have maybe actually driven and owned some of these engines like. I certainly don't mind seeing some trucks from across the pond. I actually wouldn't mind driving something like that Scania for a day. Maybe on a closed course if its right hand drive and a manual ;)

Andy1845c

Occupation
Electrician
I'd never really looked at the 3406 much. I wonder if I could get one of those under the hood of my F-800. haha
The looks easier to come by than the 08
But no V8 roar. :(
Can you put a jake on an 06?