1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

DRAGLINE V LONG REACH EXC

Discussion in 'Cranes' started by GOOG, Apr 18, 2021.

1. GOOG

GOOG Active Member

Has there ever been any conversation on the comparison between a dragline and a long reach excavator for cleaning ponds? I just finished my first pond job with my 30B. I was competing with a guy with a home made long reach. I'm interested to know what some of your opinions are. I tout the huge benefit of the D/L wringing out the water on the way in. I liken the L/R to a soup ladle, unable to keep the water in the pond where it belongs. Also the crane has much larger bucket and work at similar cycle times, thus getting more work done.

Thought.

Buddy and DMiller like this.
  2. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

There's quite a few advantages. I'm guessing you could out-reach the home made LR. If the bucket on the LR had proper drains it would dry out the load too. Did it have drain holes?

DMiller likes this.
  3. Hank R

Hank R Senior Member

Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
    My money is on the Dragline.

Buddy and DMiller like this.
  4. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

Too bad Scrubpuller isn't around anymore. I've cleaned more than a few ponds with my standard boom 210 hoe. Best thing that can be done is pump it out before you start. Yes, a dragline gets the job done without removing the water, but what else in this day and age is a dragline useful for?? Here's my thread: https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/pond-cleaning-with-excavator.53480/

DMiller likes this.
  5. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

Take the bucket off, put a ball on it and plop it on a build site?

DMiller likes this.
  6. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

A dragline is exactly as useful as it's operator, any monkey can run an excavator to some extent. No, I have never run a dragline myself, but I remember watching an artist or two. And cable heel boom log loaders, where a guy older than my grandpa could retrieve the log he wanted by slinging the grapple several times the length of his boom. Ghosts of the past.

DMiller, HATCHEQUIP, Hank R and 4 others like this.
  7. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    I've run the shovel in my avatar as a drag line dipping out coal fines. The machine had a 60' boom and a 3/4 yard bucket with the front edges blunted. No teeth and only the weight of the bucket to dig with. It was basically a twenty two ton machine. To do the same work with a long reach would have required a thirty ton excavator with a minimum forty five foot reach and at least a half yard bucket. In six hours of run time the machine would use between twenty five to thirty gallons of fuel. It didn't use any hydraulic oil. The machine was paid for. A big long reach would have had to have been rented. I don't think that there could have been any cheaper way to clean that pond.
    In the hands of a good operator working in soft material, nothing beats a drag line.

Buckethead, DMiller, Tugger2 and 3 others like this.
  8. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

Let's call a spade a spade, no pun intended. I think everyone can agree that a dragline will win in the pond-cleaning game, but besides that, what are they good for?? Other than large scale overburden removal in a mine setting, I can't think of one other scenario where a dragline would be preferable over a hydraulic excavator. Obviously cable dozers/shovels, surveyor's chains, and liar's levels built this country, but that doesn't mean they're better.

DMiller and Jonas302 like this.
  9. OTG AuGres

OTG AuGres Well-Known Member

Hobbiest - Forestry and Wildlife Management
    What’s a long reach excavator used for other than cleaning ponds, canals, etc?

10. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    Both are tools to fit a purpose. The key to using a drag line is the operator. Anyone could get on a juice machine and move dirt. There are few that can even pick up the drag line bucket and hold it in the air.

11. AzIron

AzIron Senior Member

Drag lines are about only good for cleaning ponds anymore and there is only one guy left that has one and it's been years since I seen gradalls excavator and loaders have taken the place

DMiller likes this.
  12. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

In the old days when they were doing lots of dams and such, with canals and spillways, the big draglines were king, hundred foot or more of boom, cast the bucket, make the floor flat, shape the slopes, and spin and cast the spoils maybe to a front shovel for reloading and hauling away. Cover an amazing amount of ground moving just a few feet at a time. Horses for courses.

DMiller and Shimmy1 like this.
  13. dirty4fun

dirty4fun Senior Member

Been quite a few years since I ran a dragline, cleaning ditches. The owner had been doing it for many years, used it to drop a steel hammer to break the concrete from the house he tore down, then dug the basement, and set the all the beams for the church. He loaded lots of dirt into trucks and on other jobs dug peat and loaded scrapers to haul the peat. With a couple good operators you can YoYo a Sauerman bucket across a long wet area to dig a trench for pipeline to go through. They have their place!

Buckethead, DMiller, JPV and 3 others like this.
  14. Tugger2

Tugger2 Senior Member

My cranes will run clam buckets,drag buckets,drive pile piles and do hook work. I can put up structural steel , sling a concrete bucket load logs with a grapple. I can dig down 100' in a caison with the clam.Find a juicer that will do all that. The biggest problem is trying to sell old technology . Just got beat out of a barge job with the rock grapple on the 75 ton by a long reach. But they still want me to set up the anchor gear for the barge ,apparently long reach guys dont do that.

Buckethead, bccat, dirty4fun and 5 others like this.
  15. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

now you guys have me looking and I don't even have the property yet.

DMiller likes this.
  16. GOOG

GOOG Active Member

I appreciate all the input. My first job consisted of cleaning out a small (1/3 acre) irrigation pond for a farmer. I spent two days prepping the area around the pond with a LGP dozer. The job took 5 days with the crane. I really expected my hands and feet to know what to do when i sat in the seat again. Suffice it to say, the first hour was ugly. The second day I was moving material much better. I was actually a little sad when I wrapped it up on the 5th day.
    I ran a drag line when I was a kid for a sand washing operation where the pile was the objective, not the shape of the hole. Fast forward 40 years and now I am an excavating contractor (since 1986). A couple years ago I had the idea to buy a crane, and try to cultivate a small dredging segment to the business. Mainly just because I wanted a crane in the fleet.
    The farmer was very happy with the job and took me to another guy nearby and I have my second job all lined up.

Sorry for the long rambling post, thanks for the input.

Tom

dirty4fun, petepilot, kenh and 4 others like this.
  17. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

I'd pay for the opportunity to do that, totally serious here. I have a little conventional time but nothing so artistic as dragline. The most satisfying is putting the hook gently into standing rigging, like a propped up choker on a pile hammer etc.

59 North likes this.