• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dragline help - stuck clutch?

k_kindig11

Brother in law and I went in together last year to dig out our ponds. The dragline ran fine last year for most of the year, then he started having trouble with the machine wanting to swing on it's own as he was digging, which makes things pretty difficult. If I remember correctly it wants to swing left. Upon inspection of the swing clutches, the front clutch seems to work properly - engaging and disengaging. The rear clutch doesn't seem to disengage all the way. Two or three of the "jaws" release and that portion of the clutch plate pushes out, but we seem to have one "jaw" that once engaged, doesn't want to disengage. If we tap on that jaw with a hammer, we can get it to release and the plate pull out, but it feels real tight. Once we engage that clutch, it stays stuck again. We tried to work it free this way for awhile, hoping it would begin releasing on it's own, but no luck. I have attached a short video of the clutches working as we operate the swing clutches. Any ideas if I'm diagnosing the problem correctly or where the problem might lie, and if so how to fix it? We are hesitant to tear it apart at this point for two reason. The first being that we aren't for sure what is causing this problem, and two the proper procedure for taking the clutch apart. Any input from you experience dragline guys with knowledge of maintenance on these old machines would be greatly appreciated! Or anyone that has repair instructions for repairing the clutch. I have been unsuccessful this far finding any info on this repair.

Unit Dragline Crane
Model is 1220 if I remember correctly.
Year is somewhere in the late 50s.

k_kindig11

Or if anyone knows of places that repair these old draglines near Warsaw, Indiana (northern Indiana). Would like to fix myself if the job isn't too difficult but I'm not opposed to paying someone with knowledge of these machines to do it correctly and give the whole machine a once-over. Would like to keep this old bird from becoming a yard ornament even after we are done with our ponds.

k_kindig11

Thanks for the link. Just not sure the process of taking the clutch apart to clean it up. I’m reluctant of “winging it” in fear I might mess something up. I can’t just go to Napa and get replacement parts if I do. If anyone has taken them apart and can give me a run down how to do it or better yet, has a video tutorial, that would be fantastic.

Delmer

Good luck owning a machine like that and being afraid to touch it, it's not an injection pump ladies!:D

I think you've nailed the problem, that back clutch isn't working the same as the one in the front, now fix it. Did you try penetrating oil in the joints of that mechanism? a straw on some Pb blaster or whatever, and then work it a dozen times, then another tiny shot and another dozen reps. I might pressure wash all the caked grease off of that, but I'd want to know what the clutch material looks like and how much would get splattered with grease first.

Did you oil or grease those linkages since you got it? Do you have a manual for this thing?

I don't think the fullers earth is what you're after here, I could be wrong, just guessing what's happening inside there. Don't be too afraid of taking it apart though, take some pictures as you go, and you have a second one to look at. The parts aren't going to be tiny and fragile... I think you'll figure it out just fine once you get it apart. Either the linkage is stiff, or a clutch facing is coming apart a little bit maybe?

k_kindig11

Tried pb blaster already. Thats what we used when working it to try to get it freed. We have been greasing every linkage and joint that we’ve found since we got it at regular intervals, so they have been done multiple times. Ultimately we will attempt to take it apart if we don’t get any further guidance on the procedure, but my thought was it would be smart to get advice from someone that’s done it before, before we attempt it. I guess for me it goes back to the old saying “Why reinvent the wheel” when there’s someone out there that’s already done it and knows what to do and what not to do.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
By appearance with the 'Pressure Plate seeming to Hang at the top I would suspect a stacked lining. You really need to get the upper clutch pack apart, and the friction material inspected, it more than likely has decayed and fallen apart. This will be Asbestos, no two ways round it, when start tearing into this keep it wet (spray bottle of nothing more than plain water)and bag up all the 'Dirt'. We never did and I will likely deal with that as I Age further..

Shimmy1

Got this response on Agtalk from posting your video.

Looks like the slew clutches. WD40 and a small bar might get you going but that's NOT a part of a dragline or crane you want to EVER have a problem with. Could also have some broken return springs in there.

Be safe! I think I would engage the lock on the turntable so the house can't turn and gently feather the main clutch in as I tried to get that rear clutch to release properly.

We bought an old P&H that one slew clutch had stuck with the previous owner and ripped everything out of there. Ended up scrapping it out instead of fixing it.

Last edited:

Delmer

The longer you wait, the more chance you'll get some experience offered. The only other thing I'd suggest, if you take any adjustment bolts out, mark and record the positions so you can put it back just the same as it came out. file a thread flat, use nail polish, sharpie, chisel/punch, whatever to mark them.