• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dozers from way back

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I don't really know, 10-20 years maybe, the seat is in good shape and there is not the expected carpet of pine needles on the deck, there is a grease gun and a can of brake cleaner laying there like somebody had high hopes, but the pony is kind of opened up so who knows what it would take.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals

I was trying to determine the year of the D8. I believe that serial number you posted is not for the actual machine. My serial number book does not have any number like that. I'm thinking it may be the rear mount Cable Control Unit number as they also had a serial number located usually on the left upper side. The sheet metal looks like it might be that. The machine serial number would be on the back on the left side of the transmission case about half way down. If the plate is scraped off you can normally see the rivets and a little paint removal will normally reveal the serial number as it is also stamped into the case. The Cable Control Unit may cover it on some model. The serial number is also on the left side of the engine block near the operators end.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Sorry, yes that is the plate for the CCU. I did not attempt to dig for the actual machine SN, I will try to remember when I go back there to look for that.

ianoz

It is probably around a 1955 model 870 is 870th built .
Someone with a serial number book should give you a better answer , not my uneducated guess .

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
If anybody wants it I am sure the owner would like to have it gone.

It is a long way down a narrow road, you *might* get a lowboy up to it but some of the uphills between it and civilization are pretty steep, might need a pusher. It could probably be dragged out but it would take a big machine to drag it up those hills.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
If anybody wants it I am sure the owner would like to have it gone.

It is a long way down a narrow road, you *might* get a lowboy up to it but some of the uphills between it and civilization are pretty steep, might need a pusher. It could probably be dragged out but it would take a big machine to drag it up those hills.

I have friends out there I will contact. They can get it out if its worthwhile.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
It is probably around a 1955 model 870 is 870th built .
Someone with a serial number book should give you a better answer , not my uneducated guess .

1955 is the correct year. 1955 serial numbers started at 1 and ended at 1152, 78" gauge, Peoria plant.

JPSouth

A couple guys who I've been friends with for many years have me doing ongoing work on their places, very rural area. Their uncle is recently retired and has his ranch up for sale. It's the best laid out place I've ever seen, and his equipment is older but extremely well kept. Amongst all of it is this old girl - 1947 Cat D7-3T, he thought 100 hp, cable blade, bought new by the Northern Pacific railroad in '47 to do train derailment cleanups. Spent the first part of it's life doing that, maintained by a buddy of his who worked in the Livingston MT shops for NP and later Burlington Northern. At some point they fabricated a cab to keep the winter at least a little warded off. The undercarriage and tracks, possibly a few other things, were replaced in 1985 when he bought it. Minimal hours from '85 to now, a little roadwork and developing a small pit on the ranch. Come fall it was always winterized, and parked up on timbers, blade and tractor. Pony and main motors run strong. Cable looks to me like it could use replacing, but I've not been around cable machines so I don't really know if a fray or two is time to panic.

Phone pics don't really do this dozer justice; it's got a couple very minor leaks, obviously the paint is weather-worn, but it's darn near a museum piece with a complete history. I wasn't aware of the hour meter location when I was out there last summer, but have at least a week or two again this year so I'm going to look. I'm hoping to catch up with the guy and see if he'll show me the ropes and let me do a little topsoil removal for a 1/4 mile of road that needs put in. I have a little time on an old D8 in the past, so I figure I should be at least able to point this thing straight and curl some soil.

One thing that lends credence to the story - there are several old railroad tank cars with the ends cut out acting as large culverts on his property, which leads me to believe he siphoned off a wreck or two through his buddy at the shop. There are also some odds and ends for old signals and some other RR-looking stuff around the place, probably from the BN scrap pile.

He's wanting to sell it, too big for my little operation, but I hope someone snags it who'll give it a good home. Just seems like a great piece of old iron, and I think a guy would be hard pressed to ever find one this age in this kind of shape.

Attachments

• 1947Cat3T.jpg
    1947Cat3T.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 119

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Well I talked to Glen about it shortly after I previously posted, he was interested, the owner was not interested in selling though. Now the property has been sold to new owners who may not appreciate this classic antique so I have been informed that it might be available for real this time. But Glen has since passed away so I am putting it out here again, this is for the 15A870 in case it is not clear. Buried in snow now but it will melt soon.

Mother Deuce

Let me first apologize for the "weird" looking brush. I do art photography as a hobby and I only had my infrared camera the day I ran on to this ex military D7 and Golden Jublilee Ford out in the brush at a friend of ours place. The Cat belongs to a local fire district and has for a number of years. It's intended use was for fighting fires. According to the guy that was telling me about it, the machine has never been used for its intended use. He goes up and starts it when he thinks about it and moves it around a little to make sure it stays free but mostly it just holds that piece of real estate down. He told me where it was at and askedRicksD7 small.jpg me to start it as long as I was going up there. Fired right up didn't miss a lick. It has a purpose but seems under employed... THe Golden Jubilee belonged to his Dad and is his now.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Well I talked to Glen about it shortly after I previously posted, he was interested, the owner was not interested in selling though. Now the property has been sold to new owners who may not appreciate this classic antique so I have been informed that it might be available for real this time. But Glen has since passed away so I am putting it out here again, this is for the 15A870 in case it is not clear. Buried in snow now but it will melt soon.

We are headed out that way in the spring. I know some other folks that might be interested. I am also but its a long haul for me. I'll get in touch with you when the snow goes down.