• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dozers from way back

RDG

Occupation
Multi skilled plant operator for 40+yrs
Afew pics taken in NZ in the 60s of a Hydro power station on the Waikato river.

Attachments

• Maraetai 01 1962.jpg
    Maraetai 01 1962.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 3,488
  • Maraetai 02 1962.jpg
    Maraetai 02 1962.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 3,467
  • Maraetai 03 1962.jpg
    Maraetai 03 1962.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 3,511
  • Maraetai 05 1962.jpg
    Maraetai 05 1962.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 3,574
  • Maraetai 07 1962.jpg
    Maraetai 07 1962.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 3,479

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
Nice pictures. I've got quite a few I've taken over the years, need to scan them I guess. I think the scrapers are Euclid TS24's but not sure. The twin stack dozers may be IH TD24's and the lone dozer might be a Cat D9, possibly the 19A model. I've attached a pic of a similar D9 and a TD24.

The D9 and D8's of that time period could come with the winch in the back, which was a better unit, and could then be used for a pull scraper too. I don't remember the early IH dozers as being a long life unit and I've heard that anyone who has one uses it sparingly because there are few parts out there. The D9 I believe could come either way, a direct drive,or with torque converter added. Phil:)

Attachments

• cat_d9d_crawler_1_acmoc.jpg
    cat_d9d_crawler_1_acmoc.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 3,331
  • TD 24.jpg
    TD 24.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 3,607

RDG

Occupation
dozers from wayback

A few pics of the dozers I learnt to operate on, Allis Chalmers HD 14 Cat D8-8r and TD 9-90 series.

Attachments

• Bethlehem Sep 1968 01.jpg
    Bethlehem Sep 1968 01.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 3,411
  • 146.jpg
    146.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 3,249
  • 145 May1967.jpg
    145 May1967.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 4,146
  • Ron's TD 9 July 1967.jpg
    Ron's TD 9 July 1967.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 3,247

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
That is one huge blade attachment on that AC machine. I operated a D8 2U series for 2 summers. A slightly newer machine than the 8R, with a Johnson bar. I've attached a picture of a restored one. Used to start the pup with a hand crank that stuck up through the hood. Nice pictures. Phil:)

Attachments

• D8 2U restored.jpg
    D8 2U restored.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 3,153
  • Hi-output D8.jpg
    Hi-output D8.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 3,203

lancef

Great seeing some Waikato history,keep them coming.Who was the contractor, Doug Hood?

RDG

Occupation
Dont think Doug Hood was in the NI back then, the TS 24s were Taylor & Culley think the TD24s were probably Waikato Earthmovers or Mistry of Works [MOW] there was also Dryden Construction, Allen Mills from Rotorua, Seton contracting from Tirau as well as a few others that I cant recall at the moment they were all into the Hydro jobs back in those days. Feast & Mcjorrow were another one but think they were down Wellington way more.

Wolf

A few pics of the dozers I learnt to operate on, Allis Chalmers HD 14 Cat D8-8r and TD 9-90 series.

That Allis Chambers machine has a real "Art Deco" look to it. One heck of a great design. They would put that design in the Museum of Modern Art. It's got that real 1930s "moderne" look to it. Awesome, m8.

Bet it was fun to operate big powerful iron like that too.

WabcoMan

Occupation
Heavy equipment parts manager
RDG,

Is that on the Matahina Dam ?
I've operated that exact TS24 (Taylor & Culley were my former employer)

dracer

fond memories of my childhood and im only 33 lol...
the last machine we sold was a D8K, boy i loved that machine.
i still remember snigging lods in our little D3 when i was 12.
if i had some land i would certainly be rebuiling some old gear.
hope the young keep up the dream.
brad

RDG

Occupation
The blade on the HD14 is a Baker hydraulic blade they also made them for the HD 7 & 10. Wabcoman those pics were taken at Maretai 1 or 2 on the waikato river, I was the fair haired kid in the pics and was probably taken in about 1959/60, my dad was into earthmoving and we used to go on sunday drives to look at all the big machines on the dam jobs of which there was plenty happening back then, must of rubbed off on me cause Im still playing in the dirt at nearly 60yrs.

RDG

Occupation
Couple of more oldies.

Attachments

• Ferguson Pk 01.jpg
    Ferguson Pk 01.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 2,995
  • Maraetai 06 1962.jpg
    Maraetai 06 1962.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 2,982
  • Maraetai 04 1962.jpg
    Maraetai 04 1962.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 3,308
  • Te Puna Nov 1966.jpg
    Te Puna Nov 1966.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 3,006
  • D8H Oropi Quarry.jpg
    D8H Oropi Quarry.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 2,999

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
The photo of the old overloader jogged my memory from when I was a kid, our local council had one working down the road from our place, loading trucks with fill from the side of the road. I was in to all things mechanical and was quite intrigued by the way the bucket went right over the top and tipped out the back into the truck. It realy was quite an efficient operation, just driving backwards and forwards, but imagine operating it, if you were loading dry dusty material on a windy day.

Interesting pics, RDG, a lot of history there.

RnR.

CableDW10cat

Awesome pic of the high putput d8. Love seeing them, I have the cat factory blue prints for building a McCoy d8 with the dw21 engine.

rayman

That "Baker" blade on the old HD14 Allis only had one way hydraulics, they lifted but had no down force, that's why they were so heavy. The pony crank on the older RD8 up to 2U and D7-7M up, could have the crank in any of 3 positions-vertical thru the bonnet-out the side over the track or out the front when there was no front attachments. There was never any HI-OUTPUT D8's in NZ as far as I can remember. The little red" TD6 Overloader" was built by "Hamilton Engineering" in Christchurch. He who invented the "Hamilton Jet for boats. N.Z. railways had a lot of them used in ballast pits and trackside clearing. Seton Contracting from Tirau had his first two TS24 scrapers on the Mere Mere to Kopuku causeway in 1957,McRobbie Bros from Pokeno and M.O.W. did from Mere Mere out to Island Block,Seton did Island Block East and west, and Stevenson did Kopuku to Island Block. Waikato Earthmovers was "Baldy" Margen, formerly Dryden and Margen. That looks like a very early TD25, turbo Cummins, and an older TD24 in the 3rd pic. Just going by the shape of the fuel tanks and the planetary steering sticks by the operators boot and also the planetary hubs.

R.D.G013

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator/foreman for about 48yrs o
The one with planetary hubs and in colour with the scoop on it is a TD 20 B with a DT 429 engine, the one behind it is a TD 25 B power shift, both belonged to G A Renner from Tauranga. When I started with Renners I was on the 20 B which by that time had a Hyd semi U blade on it and still had the PCU on the back, A F Porter had the 20 later in its life . The 25 was later sold to Taylor & Culley and eventually ended up at Huntly Quarries with blade and rippers on it, Renners bought it back and it ended up back as a scoop machine.

rayman

thanks for the update RD, I never had anything to do with the TD20's so didn't recognise it. Those little "overloaders" by Hamilton could be hand cranked, as the hydraulic pump was front mounted, you put the transmission in neutral, engaged the master clutch then unscrewed a cap on the rear end and stuck the crankhandle in and wound back asward.
regards ray