1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Dozer Transporter

Discussion in 'Dozers' started by @realistic_view, May 25, 2017.

1. @realistic_view

@realistic_view Active Member

I just got home from Florida picking this up. I was the high bidder on GovDeals. My D5G hauler! :)

forestry truck.jpg

Eulb, amunderdog and RangerJake72 like this.
  2. RangerJake72

RangerJake72 Member

carpenter
    good luck on it, most likely low(er) mileage, usually well maintained, just the engine was derated, so it'll be slow to accelerate, we mostly carried 550Gs, 650g, h, or js or some d5s

3. @realistic_view

122,000 on it. They were hauling a Gyro-Trac with it that weighed more than my D5, so It should work well for me.
    Hopefully I'll get the de-rated portion fixed at some point. New injectors etc needed I am reading...

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  4. Metalman 55

Metalman 55 Senior Member

Nice looking hauler there realistic_view.

I recently helped a local fella design a set of hydraulically operated ramps for his new to him flat bed for hauling mini excavators & skid steers. I did the drawing & he built the ramps & took care of the power pack etc himself.

Eulb likes this.
  5. @realistic_view

The ramps on this hauler are hydraulic as well.

6. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Kinda Retired
    Make certain you keep the brakes adjusted up may even want to add some sort of drop down bumper brace for when load/offload as that cab is still coming up with a 5 on the tail. By colors that was a Deere delivery truck from a dealership.

7. @realistic_view

No, it was a US Forest Service Dozer transporter rig out of Florida. It has feet on the bottom of the hydraulic ramps that brace it all up when they are down. The GyroTrac they hauled was right at 27k. This D5g is about 21k.

8. @realistic_view

DozerOnTruck.jpg.jpg

9. @realistic_view

Here it is in use in Florida

10. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    What motor is in it? Some of the de-rate may just be parameters you can reset with the proper software. Max speed on pedal, max on cruise, fan settings etc etc. Maybe even some injector codes to help it run depending on brand of motor.

Junkyard

11. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Kinda Retired
    Awesome, missed the ramp feet in the previous photo.

12. @realistic_view

It has a Cummins 8.3 L6 Its set at 240 hp. They wanted to make sure those Forestry guys didn't get any speeding tickets :) I have the local cummins guys on it already.

13. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Kinda Retired
    Missouri Dept of Conservation/Forestry has a similar setup for the smaller crawlers they use. Still rely on tractor trailers for larger machines but this looks like would fit a bill for function pretty well.

14. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

CDF used to use those back in the 1980s but I have never seen one in the wild. Nowadays they seem to have mostly standardized on D6 style tractors which are even kind of big even for a regular lowboy. They have a mishmash of Ford, middle age Mack and I don't know what all tractors to pull the lowboy. Of course the state never bought anything standard like a Kenworth or Pete or even a Freightliner. The bid process seems to ensure they wind up with something "different".

15. RangerJake72

RangerJake72 Member

carpenter
    Actually would Be Florida Forest Service, state wildland firefighting and forest management agency. the transport bed is our own design, refined over several years, several other states and other agencies have borrowed or licensed our design for hauling, tractor plows or other equipment

16. @realistic_view

Get them to spec it with a larger engine and a jake brake next go round ;)

17. RangerJake72

RangerJake72 Member

carpenter
    sadly, we the operators get little to no say in any of the equipment we get

18. @realistic_view

Yep, people doing the ordering who have no idea what the needs are, typical government. If I were hauling that much weight behind me - especially if I were responding to a fire - I'd want more horsepower and an engine brake.

19. @realistic_view

Cummins said it could be turned up to 300 hp with the way the motor is configured. 60 hp is better than nothing I guess.

20. bigbob

bigbob Well-Known Member

Will the transmission handle any additional torque?