• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dozer tow hook / chain / cable size

bdog1234

I have a Deere 550 J. I think it weighs around 19k.

What size of chain or cable do I need to be able to pull it out if stuck and not worry about breaking the chain?

CavinJim

That depends on how it's stuck! Without going into a long and entertaining story--I've seen a loader (about the JD 555 size) sunk 6' straight down (the grass ended where the tracks broke through). Anchor chain might not have been enough to pull it out..... fortunately, the equipment owner knew a few tricks and it only took two cords of wood. If it had been a dozer and not a loader, it might still be there.

I usually figure, at a minimum, what it takes to lift the machine. In this case, that's 5/8 of grade 70 or higher. Or 1" cable (smaller if you double it around a sheave).

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I would avoid a chain, if/when they break the broken link might as well be a bullet. A strap is by far the safest. I used to have a continuous choker good for 50,000 that handled smaller stuff. The nice thing about straps and chokers is they stretch and kind of give a little slingshot affect. A cable would be my second choice but they're harder to roll up and store not to mention when they get damaged they'll poke ya!

If it weighs 18 I'd double it and get a couple good shackles (if it's STUCK suction may exceed actual machine weight). If there's a rigging place near you they may have an oddball choker laying around or one that isn't any good for lifts anymore that would be fine as a recovery strap. Heck a crane company may have one they'll give you unles they're concerned about liability.

Hobbytime

whatever you use, a trick to sorta keep it safe if the chain, cable or strap from flying if it breaks is to tie a heavy blanket or towels along the way..ive seen cables snap and its not pretty if they hit something worse if someone...

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
If you two part the chain ,strap,cables you make it much stronger .Don’t wrap around with a sharp or square edge.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
If stuck bad, one could do like a utility contractor did a couple years ago with a 700H wide track cable plow when he fell thru a bog in the winter. He hooked on the blade, ran the cable over the canopy, and rolled it over backwards and skidded it out on the canopy. It was under water so they had to tear it down anyway. Seriously, I like cable if stuck in mud or suction material. Get some sheaves and with a 3 part line you can triple the pull force of the cable and slow it down by three times to help ease it out of the muck.

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
If suction is holding you in wet sticky mud ,a compressor with a hose with pipe on end of hose can help break suction. With tension on machine shove pipe with air coming out all around machine.

TrackShovel

My suggestion would be a 1" wire rope sling, will have plenty of strength for those stucks where you need to back up and jolt it a bit. similar to this https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en/product/SLING-WR-EE-1INX-12FT-6X19-IMP/p/LAL1IEEX12
For comparison we use 1.75" - 2" that are rated close to 40'000lbs vertical for pulling out d11's and ultra class haul trucks.
From personal experience I would stay away from chains and non continuous nylon slings just because of how they shoot and whip when they let go. I've heard of wire slings breaking in a explosive manner but have never seen one personally. I find they usually pull straight apart, the loop breaks or the loop pulls out from the steel collar where it is braided together.