• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dozer Blades on Skidsteers?

littledenny

Occupation
Owner, 2Vets, LLC
Anyone have any experience with dozer blades on skidsteers - something like a Grouser 1300 blade on a Bobcat S250 with over the tire tracks?

Short Story - Just spent the better part of two weeks operating a rented Cat D3GXL dozer - was cutting down a driveway approach through some hilly areas, and moving the dirt to build up a "yard" on the downside of a house.

A dozer was the obvious choice here, needed it to cut the road some 150 feet lengthwise, from mere inches on the high end to some six feet deep on the low end, then pushing the dirt 100 feet around the house and down a bank to the new back yard. Considered a bucketed skidsteer, but figured that it wouldn't cut the existing hardpacked road as easily, nor handle the grades to the back yard. Had no room to move a truck, so an excavator and truck wasn't an option. Still the dozer, though small, it was really kinda tight to maneuver in and around the obstacles - trees, the septic tank, etc. The other problem was that I spent half my time backing back up the hill, at 3MPH tops.

Was thinking that a larger tracked skidsteer with a 6 way blade might have been an option in this case, and just wondering if anyone has any experience with one. I'm curious as to how well they work for actually cutting hard packed dirt, or are they really only suitable for finish grading and the like.

Yep, I realize that the Cat is well over twice as heavy as any skidsteer I'm likely to rent, and much better suited for sidesloping and nose down work - but I'm contemplating another job that will involve reworking a long driveway, with a need to cut some side ditches and recrowning. I'm wondering if a heavy, tracked skidsteer has enough ooophm to do some ditchcutting, and can make up for the raw power of a real dozer with a smaller bite, but a higher track speed.

I'd appreciate any insight anyone could offer.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
Most of the larger skid steers (Bobcat S250, S300, A300; Case 90XT=450, 95XT=465; Cat 262B, 268B; Gehl 6640, 7610, 7810; Thomas 255) will be able to handle a dozer blade reasonably well. Track loaders will definitely be able to wield a blade as well; the 450CT (Case) seems to be one of the machines that will have no problem pushing through anything a standard D3 can do. As much as skids pack enough power to do the job, however, there are very few heavy-duty dozer blades that can stand up to the same abuse you could put a D3 blade to. Moreover, skid steers are primarily *compact* lifting machines. Most of their machine weight will sit over the rear tires -- meaning you won't get the best down-force. So if you're planning to cut some serious dirt, a skid steer may not be the best choice. However, if you're looking to backfill or even do a bit of ditch cutting, you'll be okay. Generally speaking, no compact machine will ever rival a D3-size dozer in pure heavy-blade work.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
BobcatS250 makes some good points, the horsepower will definately be there with a larger skid steer. Looking at the larger skids, most of them have over 70 HP, which has the D3 beat as it is right there, since the D3 only has 70 HP. I think a multi terrain loader (MTL) will be the best bet for sure. This will put more weight forward (much like a D3) to give you more downward pushing force. Weight is a factor too, the D3 weighs about twice a skid steer and has much more torque, but I think an MTL will do what you need easily without too much regret. I know what you mean when you say dozers are slow, I rented a Deere 450G about 3 weeks ago to push the hump off a 1/2 acre property to level it out. I came back through with our Harley rake on our skid steer and graded it so much faster than a dozer ever could, but there's just no way that I could physically push as much dirt with our little 216 as that dozer could. On the other hand, a Cat 287 MTL with a 6 way blade might have given that 450G a run for it's money.

littledenny

Occupation
Owner, 2Vets, LLC
Once again, you've all confirmed my suspicions.

I've seen so many guys in these parts contracting to regrade driveways with bucketed skidsteers, and not really doing the job correctly. Their problems are that either they don't understand drainage, or they don't have the proper equipment to do the right thing. I'm developing a pretty good little business fixing some of these "oops", but the rental on the dozer is a bit pricy, even though I've got a pretty good deal going with the rental guy.

Still, I've not seen a dozer blade on any skidsteer in these parts, and haven't seen one in any of the rental yards, either. I've been pretty successful doing this work with a rented Kubota TLB and a rear blade, but wondered if a skidsteer with a blade would be any better.

Guess it's time to try a demo deal with a dealer, and see what really cuts best in this Georgia clay.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
Larger skid steers should be able to handle the ditching, but it is very possible that some of the digs that are required aren't skid-steer friendly.

In any case, keep us posted on how it goes.

chechnya

Not to put a damper on things but a blade on a skid steer is one of the worst ideas ive seen in a while. They are too heavy for their own good, not to mention not being able to push anything. I know dozer rentals are expensive but well worth it. But this only works if you know how to operate a dozer. If you need to level things, then the leveler attachment is perfectly awesome. Really works.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I think part of the problem with putting a blade on any rubber tired machine is the fact that a tracked machine will "bridge" over dips and ruts in the surface, while a rubber tired machine will drop into them. That'll make the blade go up and down too, and it's amplified by the blade being out in front--the dips will just get bigger. Something like a skidsteer, having a short wheelbase, will be even more prone to that. That's why graders are long, and have their blade in the middle.

Also, chechnya, welcome to the site! :)

Coastal

Bobcat came out with a big 6 way adjustable dozer blade for the tracked machines...apparantly it works really well, its huge, thick and really heavy, it should cut pretty good. They cost about $10000 though...

Jake

Occupation
Operator
Hello

Next time try a small track loader like a Cat 939. Or if you have a little more room try a 953.

greywynd

Depending on the size of the job (distance to move the fill), I'd consider another option. How about using a mini excavator to dig and grade the driveway and ditches, and a skid steer to move the material? I've done this a few times, last job I did was about 6 tri-axle loads, did that in two days. (Dug out the fill, moved it, and replaces it with the 6 loads of base and top dressed gravel.) Only had the skid steer for one day, moved the material about 250-350' away.

Mark

John M

Has Anyone Tryed A Combination Bucket With A Tilt Attach On Compact Track Loader?

Sure Would Like Some Input On The Matter. Thanks Everyone For Help On Track Verses Tire Scenario .

GaryKelley

Occupation
Self employed loser
Dozer Blade for skidsteer

Bobcat came out with a big 6 way adjustable dozer blade for the tracked machines...apparantly it works really well, its huge, thick and really heavy, it should cut pretty good. They cost about $10000 though...

It's interesting about this thread. I just looked at a NEW blade for a skid steer yesterday at the local rental company in Redding, I was thinking about putting one on my JD 110 TLB to go move some snow. He has a brand new one (can't remember the brand) said I could rent the blade alone for $500/week. or BUY it outright for $5000. I finally found a snowblower in Reno to rent..Anybody interested in the blade, I can get more information about it.

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
playing with the new 247 MTL
I have personally seen a T300 Bobcrap go at it with a new 6 way blade, biggest joke I ever saw, you can move material faster with less fuel with just the bucket.

If I had it my way, I'd get me a 953 or Deere Tracked loader with a quick coupler that I could swap out from the bucket to a blade.

GOINGBROKE

Occupation
Diesel shop owner - truck, farm and heavy equipmen
Demoed a cat 6 way dozer a year ago. A joke for the $5500 that they wanted for it. could push alot of dirt but a skidsteer is way to short for any type of fine grading. Dozer was built tough though would have a hard time tearing it up. Finally just used the bucket for what I had to get done.

JCBgm

I have conflicting thoughts. I've used an 84" bradco dozer blade on a JCB 1110T (92hp). The blade was great, but not for the conditions. I could see that the blade would be helpful in grading backfill material or finish grade around a foundation. I tried using it to cut a 18" deep drainage ditch across the back of our lot. Ditch was maybe 150' long and 3' wide. Material was stiff clay. It took abazzilion passes with me cutting 1" per pass with just the corner of the blade. If I tried to cut much more, I would loose traction and spin.

Keep in mind that I'm a much better excavator operator than dozer operator!! I think it would work well it loose material or soils with lower cohesion. We'd happily sell the 84" bradco for less than those mentioned above. It's heavy!!

Go to bradcoattachments and search "dozer". There's a video of the blade in operation. Notice it's SAND!

It's not the blade, it's the limitations of the machine (weight distribution and lack of grousers).

Last edited:

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Skidsteers and dozer blades I think is an idea that sounds good when you first think of it. They are too short, and if any tire hits a bump or a hole, the blade moves dramatically. They are also not balasted or weighted right for pushing a blade. With tires they will spin way before they will loose power. Over tire tracks will help this but lack the rails that real track machines have. I think I would try a tilt-tach and a regular tooth bucket and the same attachment on a ctl. The ctl's really turn the skidsteer concept into a new animal, If you havent tried one with a good toothed dirt bucket, you owe it too yourself.

TriHonu

If you are doing a lot of cut and haul you might want to look at the Ashland Scraper Attachment It has a capacity of 2.5 yd. Attached to a skid steer you should be able to get into some tight spaces. It is designed to support scraper type operations (cut and short haul) in a skid steer package.

They sold 3 used ones at Ritchie Bros in Minneapolis last fall. They were all in nice condition and the last one sold for $2500! If I had a bigger loader I probably would have bought it.

If you have longer shuttle distances it is the travel time that really limits your productivity in a skid steer. A friend of mine bought an old 1 ton dump truck just to support the work he is doing building cabins on a 70 acre parcel. There is good gravel available on site and he is using the 1 ton and a dump trailer to spread the gravel on the driveways.

For slope cutting/trim I use a Tilt-tach with both bucket and grade bar. I have a snowplow for my skid and every time the tires went over a lump the blade jumped off the ground and gouged every time front tires went into a rut. I ended up cutting the whole mount off and building a new mount to allow the plow to follow the ground. I would think a dozer blade on a skid would be very difficult to keep on grade.

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
If you are doing a lot of cut and haul you might want to look at the Ashland Scraper Attachment It has a capacity of 2.5 yd. Attached to a skid steer you should be able to get into some tight spaces. It is designed to support scraper type operations (cut and short haul) in a skid steer package.

They sold 3 used ones at Ritchie Bros in Minneapolis last fall. They were all in nice condition and the last one sold for $2500! If I had a bigger loader I probably would have bought it.

If you have longer shuttle distances it is the travel time that really limits your productivity in a skid steer. A friend of mine bought an old 1 ton dump truck just to support the work he is doing building cabins on a 70 acre parcel. There is good gravel available on site and he is using the 1 ton and a dump trailer to spread the gravel on the driveways.

For slope cutting/trim I use a Tilt-tach with both bucket and grade bar. I have a snowplow for my skid and every time the tires went over a lump the blade jumped off the ground and gouged every time front tires went into a rut. I ended up cutting the whole mount off and building a new mount to allow the plow to follow the ground. I would think a dozer blade on a skid would be very difficult to keep on grade.

You should have bought one of those Ashland scrapers attachment.I just priced one here a few weeks ago and they wanted 15k minus the $1000 rebate from the factory.Way over priced for me.

I'll find a different way of doing the job,but for $2500 dollars i would have jumped on that.:D:usa

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
playing with the new 247 MTL
You should have bought one of those Ashland scrapers attachment.I just priced one here a few weeks ago and they wanted 15k minus the $1000 rebate from the factory.Way over priced for me.

I'll find a different way of doing the job,but for $2500 dollars i would have jumped on that.:D:usa

Get a dumping hopper, fill it up with a bucket and go, they only cost about $3500 USD and rent for no less than $150 a day. :notworthy

Shifty

Occupation
owner operator
Hi all
I am new to this forum This looks like a subject I could have some useful input on.
I have 277B with a 6 way blade. Which at first I wouldn't have given two cents for. But after getting some hours on it, it works pretty darn good.
First if you have run dozer before FORGET what you have learned. The principle is the same but thats all.
Second mistake that I made was I was running the 277 to fast.You are a BULLDOZER NOW. A D3 goes slow for 2 reason 1st is power and the 2nd is control. I run my 277 at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle and I can still spin the tracks.
Third is that CTL or CL in general do not have the strength in the main boom to prevent the corners of the blade from gouging in like a heavy C frame of a dozer does.
Fourth you can change the angle of the blade to the ground and with skid shoes on you can control blade diving and depth of cut per pass.
I now can move 3 to 4 times the material I could with the bucket in the same time. The hardest thing for me is slowing down to run the blade correctly. I am so used to running like a skid steer I go to fast and screwup the grade. I' ve cut shale, hard clay, soddy topsoil with good results. They do have their limits like you can't rock a road with them and do deep trenching with the corners of the blade.
The biggest drawback the dozer/ CTL combo has is the learning curve they have. Once people get pass that there will be a lot of 450s and D3s fearing for their jobs. IMO