• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

DOT regulations for loading equipment while parked on the road.

Digwizz

Can anybody tell me what regulations apply to loading equipment on the lowboy while parked on the road?

Thanks in advance

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Do you mean, loading it while parked on the road, as opposed to loading it while parked on private property, as opposed to actually hauling it somewhere? :confused:

I can't imagine there'd be any difference at all, from a "DOT" standpoint. Once you get on the road and moving, it's going to have to comply with their rules (whatever they may be, as Mitch points out.) Now, the regular police may have some other concerns as far as your impact on traffic while you're loading, or something. I don't know.

Did you run into a specific problem?

Digwizz

I was rear ended while in the process of side loading an excavator on the trailer with lights and four ways on, in the day light with half a mile on unobstructed view. Just wondered if I was doing anything wrong.

jrtraderny

I was rear ended while in the process of side loading an excavator on the trailer with lights and four ways on, in the day light with half a mile on unobstructed view. Just wondered if I was doing anything wrong.

Only thing I can see wrong is usually I have someone along to flag for me.
jr

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Well, that fills in the blanks a little. Sorry it had to happen. :(

Other than having gotten out of bed that morning, I still don't know if you did anything wrong. Maybe somebody else will know. :beatsme

Did the police say anything? (And if you want to reserve the answer to that question until after you get some more answers here, I understand.)