• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

DOT in NY bites

nedly05

They're a little pricey.. but he cuts us a little bit of a break with the amount that we know. My uncle John runs Tri-axle for them when ever he's not hauling for us.. Sent ya a PM...

They are a bit pricey, but they have a little bit of overhead, nice fleet of trucks and equipment they have. Any pics of the tri-axle?

soopa

I'm one of those landscapers whose embarrassingly ignorant of what's required of them when hauling. I haven't been picked up, yet.

Can someone help me determine what docs/licenses I should have / be carrying?

We do landscaping & light excavation, I typically run our newer Isuzu NPR-HD dump. It has a GVWR/GCWR of 14,500/20,500 lbs. I'm not sure of it's curb weight, but I believe the cab+chassis to be about 5,500 lbs and I know the composite body is less than 1500 lbs. Body+payload allowance is in the 9500 lb range, and I usually don't fill it too much.

Usually pulling a 13,800 lb GVWR trailer with an empty weight of ~2,700 lbs and will load machines anywhere from 4000 lbs (micro-ex) to 7500 lbs (mini-ex), nearly 10,000 lbs (T300).

No CDL. At what point am I breaking the law?

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
I'm one of those landscapers whose embarrassingly ignorant of what's required of them when hauling. I haven't been picked up, yet.

Can someone help me determine what docs/licenses I should have / be carrying?

We do landscaping & light excavation, I typically run our newer Isuzu NPR-HD dump. It has a GVWR/GCWR of 14,500/20,500 lbs. I'm not sure of it's curb weight, but I believe the cab+chassis to be about 5,500 lbs and I know the composite body is less than 1500 lbs. Body+payload allowance is in the 9500 lb range, and I usually don't fill it too much.

Usually pulling a 13,800 lb GVWR trailer with an empty weight of ~2,700 lbs and will load machines anywhere from 4000 lbs (micro-ex) to 7500 lbs (mini-ex), nearly 10,000 lbs (T300).

No CDL. At what point am I breaking the law?

If you have a trailer over 10,000 lbs you need a Class A. If the trailer is registered for under 10,000 lbs and it's overweight over 10,000 lbs you need a Class A license. But you can drive a truck that is 26,000 lbs with a trailer that is under 10,000 lbs and not need a CDL. But for your situation you'll need to go get your Class A license.

soopa

Once I started writing those numbers down, I had a feeling that would be someone's response. I guess I just never looked at the big picture. The truck & the trailer feel so small... I'm used to seeing most guys running around with much larger trucks and much larger trailers. I guess the state DOT site is the best spot to look into a Class A?

nedly05

Go to your local DMV, get the CDL permit book, study up for your permit, then after you have the road skills down, go for the road test.

Mighty Moe

The state NY Sate DOT is one thing,I sweat the local town or cities DOT!It's a game on how many truck's they can get it before noon break.I know from a sertan town here (with a famus horse race track)S.S.NY and these guy's have no clue on what the hheck there looking at when they look at my T800.They have to read book's on the law's before they write the ticket there so dumb.Ive seen so many truck's that I know personaly that should be shut down pull in and get waved threw as I site and get my ball's broke.It's all about the $$$.If you were headed to his house with that hoe with your 10 ply tire's it would of been fine!!