• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

DOT in NY bites

dirtboy

You cant win with these guys. Just smile. They were probably teased when they were little now its payback time.

BIGDAN315

Occupation
Self employed in the excavating buis and have been
When ever there is money to be made you can bet godd ole uncle sam will be there with his hand in your pocket. Whether it be taxes, Hut,or DOT fines.Fuel tax, etc. etc. It's no wonder why trucking is getting so expensive. We just have to pass these expenses on and In the end it's the consumer who pays the price. Don't get me wrong I am not against dot laws . It can be good system and it is there to keep everyone safe but it is when it is abused by some power hungry troopers that gets my blood boiling.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
That young wise-azz who pulled me out of service was most definitely abusing his authority.He gave me every indication I would be able to leave after 1.5 hours of giving my truck the equivalent of a blue gloved anal exam,only to drop the bomb.I'm watching him very carefully,he will make a mistake and I will take advantage of it.Absolutely no need for bastards like him out there.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Funny thing happened yesterday at lunch.Local pub/restaurant where I go usually once a week had the same 2 dep't of Trouble officers who hassled me back 4-5 weeks ago.{So I guess they've managed not to get themselves murdered:D}Pretty sure,the young one recognized me and for sure most of the other patrons who were truck drivers of some sort definitely recognized them.Tension was thick I tell you until they left and then everyone was cracking up.We were all commenting how uptight they looked while there.Don't think they'll be coming back anytime soon but I'd love to spike their food with some laxative if they do.;)

PROCUT1

I know all too when about them.

I saw on the Newburgh-Beacon bridge the other day...

They had a landscaper with a Mitsubishi Fuso FG 4x4 dump.

A little info on these trucks for those that dont know about them.

4 cylinder cabover dump trucks
GVW 12,500
Empty weight 11,200

So their capacity is legally a little over half a ton....Its rediculous....However they have HUGE dump beds on them with 10 yard capacity.

So many of these landscapers buy these trucks not knowing about DOT laws and think that they have a 10 yard bed, they can load them right up.

I had one myself, but after getting an overweight ticket with 3 yards of mulch in it, I got rid of it.

This guy at the DOT stop, had a FULL LOAD of dirt in the truck, at least 7 ton....And ontop of that had a skidsteer trailer with a skidsteer and 3 or 4 attachments on it.

Again, legal payload on this truck is less than one ton...

I cant even begin to imagine what this cost him.

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
:eek: Wait till the scale master in your area gets motivated like our local DOT did. :eek:

Crackdown on unsafe semis in Grays Harbor Co.

06:05 PM PST on Friday, February 15, 2008

By DREW MIKKELSEN / KING 5 News

Crackdown finds big rig problems SEATTLE – A crackdown on truck drivers suggests an overwhelming majority of semis have something wrong with them.

One of the drivers pulled over recently in Grays Harbor County was ticketed for being 66,000 pounds overweight – a new Washington state record.

It also set another state record – a nearly $17,000 ticket.

Grays Harbor Sheriff's deputies partially blame commercial trucks with an exceptionally high number of fatal collisions, so the county and the Washington State Patrol increased their truck inspections for two days this week.

Of the 163 trucks inspected, 94 percent were cited for moving or mechanical violations. In 34 percent of those trucks, the violations were so severe, they had to be taken out of service.

"Not all of the industry is being as careful as they could about quality and the conditions of their trucks," said Grays Harbor Co. Undersheriff Rick Scott.

The day after the stepped-up patrols, the driver of one truck lost control and rolled into a ditch.

"He had lost sensation in the lower extremities when they transported him," said Lt. Matt Stowers, Grays Harbor Co. Sheriff's Office.

Investigators say there was no seatbelt in the cab. Speed was a factor, but police say mechanical problems with the truck also played a role.

"You have to take it seriously otherwise somebody's going to get hurt," said truck driver Vince Carson. He has received minor violations while driving his truck for the last seven years, but he considers himself safer then most car drivers and says no industry is as regulated as trucking.

"To me, sometimes, it's nit-picking, sometimes it's not. I mean sure, there are truck drivers that are doing the wrong things," said Carson.

The truck that got the record-setting ticket is owned by the Dilley and Solomon Logging Company. It had no comment on the citation

chico

Occupation
owner operator
you guys are scaring me!!!!! I dont want to see D.O.T. I will be a nervous wreck!!!

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
you guys are scaring me!!!!! I dont want to see D.O.T. I will be a nervous wreck!!!

Sorry--but death,taxes--DOT:D---make your CB your new best friend---I'm going to install mine tomorrow--at least you might have a chance to circumvent the bastards.

bear

Occupation
Math, Physics, keeping out of trouble and doing od
Problem i Had

I was in wisconsin or one of the more northern states when i used to drive and was told i had an overloaded truck. the problem with this was IT WAS EMPTY!!! major snafu for the DOT boy. He didn't like having egg mud and other worse things on his face and he didn't like the fact i kept all the state Weights and Measures Bureaus(?) in my phone memory. last i heard DOT station was shut down and Little Dot Guy wasn't working for the state any more.:D :drinkup :usa :)

nedly05

Just you wait! you'll come around a corner and BAM, there they will be, the red lights will come on, suddenly you will feel naucious, your knees will get weak, you will shake and studder uncontrollably, most likely some form of paperwork will be missing, then they start the inspection.........:eek:

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Just you wait! you'll come around a corner and BAM, there they will be, the red lights will come on, suddenly you will feel naucious, your knees will get weak, you will shake and studder uncontrollably, most likely some form of paperwork will be missing, then they start the inspection.........:eek:

Probably the same thing Eliot Spitzer just experienced.:D---Don't know about the inspection part.

woodchuck2

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have a ? that may be off-topic but you fella's would know the answer better than i. What is the most you can tow with a 3/4 ton truck with a class-D license before you are out of class? I have looked into the different class license's for NY but they seem to contradict each other when it comes to towing and weight allowed.My truck is an 06 D-Max with a rating of 12k on the hitch and 23k for a 5er. Why would an Auto manufacturer sell a truck to tow that much if you need a different class of license to drive it.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
I have a ? that may be off-topic but you fella's would know the answer better than i. What is the most you can tow with a 3/4 ton truck with a class-D license before you are out of class? I have looked into the different class license's for NY but they seem to contradict each other when it comes to towing and weight allowed.My truck is an 06 D-Max with a rating of 12k on the hitch and 23k for a 5er. Why would an Auto manufacturer sell a truck to tow that much if you need a different class of license to drive it.

Your license is fine for any LEGAL weight with your truck.I believe from memory,it's app.26,500 lbs. or more for the need to a Class A license.The onus is on you the user of the truck for securing the correct license--NOT the manufacturer.It's like owning a firearm---you can buy one,but legally you need a permit/license to use it.

stretch

Occupation
gopher
He got in trouble because he was payin $4300 for the inspection!!!!

Ya know how to slow a prostitute down?? Put a governer on her!!!:D

:lmao :falldownlaugh Nice one nedly!!!

By the way, if anyone is passing through Stafford, CT on WB I-84, the weigh station has been running again this past year...I think they may have been working on on the scales along I-95 around the Waterford/New London area also.

CTDOT has been really cracking down...remember Avon Mountain? I believe commercial trucks are banned from going over the mountain now. :ban I also found out that the DOT sometimes stops company pickups too, even unmarked ones...just some advice I thought I'd give.

PROCUT1

NAILED!!!!!!

Yep

Im the salesman for the company so I rarely go on the road with a crew. Well we we;re short a driver so I decided to get out of the office and go run a few loads of mulch.

I went out to the yard and saw 3 dumptrucks...A big international, a mitsubishi fuso, or a little gmc.

Well considering it was mulch the gmc had a small bed, and the international was overkill so I took the mitsu.

Well that was a mistake. That was just switched over from winter service and hasnt been totally set up for the summer.

Well off I go to the mulch supplier, get loaded and head down the road. Make the turn and here come the red lights behind me.

7 violations, a new tire, and an hour with diesel road service, my truck was back in service.

woo hoo

crash935

Occupation
Co-Owner of Lakeland Transportation
By the way, if anyone is passing through Stafford, CT on WB I-84, the weigh station has been running again

I'll be sure to bring coffee and donuts on Monday when i roll thru!!!

Last edited by a moderator: