• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Doosan Engine & Bobcat

DirtCrawler

When the Doosan engines came out in the bobcats, think it was late 2014, there was talk about them having issues in the winter months where they would lose power and people where having problems with them not wanting to run correctly. Im wondering now that the doosan engine has been out for a while if they got the problem worked out with this issue or if its still a issue?

Thanks

crewchief888

the biggest problem we still see is crappy fuel....

bobcat now uses a 2 micron fuel filter, vs the 10 micron filter that was previously used. most of the problems have been plugged filters.
bobcat now also uses a cold weather bypass valve that routes warm return fuel to the filter, until the bypass opens and routes it to the fuel cooler. early M series machines with the doosan did not have them.

:eek:

Bill Smith

Occupation
Rental House Owner
Always use pump fuel , Stay away from Farmer Joe's 50 year old fuel tank . Use your own clean jerry cans don't borrow them . Use a good fuel conditioner with an anti jell prohibiter for cold weather .I rent out the Bob Cat S450's with the Doosan engine , no issues . We find that the doosan engines need more time to warm up .

dave esterns

we have a 2016 595. surprisingly we haven't had any issues keeping it running. but we don't use it all that much only got 250 hours on it and when it gets below 0 degrees F we keep it in the heated shop at night most of the time. but i had it out and about when it was -15 F no trouble. don't give it any special treatment gets the standard farm fuel.

DirtCrawler

So would these machine by chance need to be equipped with the "Cold Weather Package" (whatever that includes) so that they don't have this issue and its the ones that don't come with it, which are the ones with the problems?

crewchief888

the cold weather fuel bypass should have been added to machines (by the dealer) that were not equipped with them.
there have been 2 or 3 bypass kits in the parts network since the 1st addition...

not sure what a "cold weather package " is

DirtCrawler

Not sure what it is either, just noticed that a few machines listed for sale said 'cold weather package'. So thought maybe it was this bypass valve you were talking about.
Went to Bobcat site and did a build a machine and if you look under "individual Factory Options" look at the last item in the list, it says..
Two speed, Hydraulic bucket positioning, cold weather package. If you click on it, off the to the right it give you a description of ...Engine block heater.
Has to be more than just that, otherwise why not just say engine block heater. Instead of cold weather package.

crewchief888

Some machines cold weather package items can be block heater, ether start, two batteries instead of one.

bobcat hasnt used an ether start on any machines with a kubota engine. the only ones i know of that it was an available option on were the 943, 953, & 963. dual batteries were available on the 900 series, and the 843 ( and possibly early 853's ?) theres just no room for dual batteries, Bobcat has now gone to a 31 series, 1000CCA battery.

Not sure what it is either, just noticed that a few machines listed for sale said 'cold weather package'. So thought maybe it was this bypass valve you were talking about.
Went to Bobcat site and did a build a machine and if you look under "individual Factory Options" look at the last item in the list, it says..
Two speed, Hydraulic bucket positioning, cold weather package. If you click on it, off the to the right it give you a description of ...Engine block heater.
Has to be more than just that, otherwise why not just say engine block heater. Instead of cold weather package.

every machine we get new from the factory has the fuel bypass already on it. we have installed the block heaters, it takes longer to open the box than it does to install the heater. unlike the previous kubota engines the doosan has a dry socket the heater snaps into.

Tinman204

So are the new bobcats generally reliable in the cold?

I ask cause a guy I push snow with normally runs new Hollands. He traded in 1 of them on a new s650 (I may have the model wrong, it's a long wheelbase big machine).

The first couple of times we went out it wasn't too cold maybe -10 Celsius or so. His new machine ran flawlessly for several 18 hour snow shifts.

Just spoke with his father in law last night during a shift and he said he's super unhappy with the new bobcat. It's been plagued with electrical gremlins and keeps going into limp mode. He said something to do with an intake sensor (that's what he clalled it) failing and causing it to throw codes and go into limp mode. This only occurs when it's cold out.

I'm wondering if this is a common issue or he just got a bad one?

Last edited:

crewchief888

So are the new bobcats generally reliable in the cold?

I ask cause a guy I push snow with normally runs new Hollands. He traded in 1 of them on a new s650 (I may have the model wrong, it's a long wheelbase big machine).

The first couple of times we went out it wasn't too cold maybe -10 Celsius or so. His new machine ran flawlessly for several 18 hour snow shifts.

Just spoke with his father in law last night during a shift and he said he's super unhappy with the new bobcat. It's been plagued with electrical gremlins and keeps going into limp mode. He said something to do with an intake sensor (that's what he clalled it) failing and causing it to throw codes and go into limp mode. This only occurs when it's cold out.

I'm wondering if this is a common issue or he just got a bad one?

bobcat dealer with doosan software should be able to find the problem.
what i have noticed is in cold weather, the throttle will not respond until the engine warms up a little. you'll also get a "cold" message in the LH display