• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Don't let your mind wander!!!

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
On Friday I did something really stupid.At the end of a long day replacing a 4'' sewer service,I'm putting away my 410G hoe up on my trailer in the dark and as I'm getting out of the cab,my mind wandered off to something else I forgot to do.So I'm descending and I tell myself,yup,that was the bottom step--and I was right.The only problem was that I was on the trailer.So I fell about 4' down right on my back on blacktop.The pain that shot through me almost had me throw-up it was so bad.I could'nt move for about 15 seconds at first and then turned around,got on my hands and knees and realized I'm in the middle of the road and blondie might be coming any second to run over me.I managed to crawl over to the lawn and just sit there awhile but I just knew I did something bad to myself as I was still in severe pain.Saturday I was actually feeling better until I started installing the wiring on my new salter.It felt like I pulled a muscle in my back,my strenghth was gone and the pain was worse.Yesterday,after a little plowing I rested most of the day but the pain is getting worse so my GF is taking me to the Doc today.Moral of story---stay focused!

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
I know what you mean, the thousand gallon septic tanks that I used to deliver where exactly 8'6" wide and on the smaller cranes we used to deliver them they had to be carried sideways. So I had placed one on the truck then tossed the straps over it and climbed up on the truck. I was facing towards the back of the truck and started at the driver side of the tank and placed one corner protector. Then I just proceeded to sidestep my way across the truck laying out the strap flat across the tank. I wasn't paying attention to where I was and sidestepped completely off the passenger side of the truck onto the concrete driveway. I just closed my eyes and tucked my arms in and landed on my left side(this wouldn't have been so bad but I am a complete southpaw). When I hit it knocked off my hardhat and my safety glasses. I rolled around on the ground for about an hour (that's what it felt like but it really was only a couple minutes less time then it takes to fuel up a truck, I could see two guys fueling but couldn't get air enough to be heard). Got up and finished the day, but that night I took two vicadin and still didn't sleep well. After that I watched EVERY step I took on a trailer or truck body.

tootalltimmy

We had a presentation from a Worksafe consultant. The statistic that stood out was when he said that 80% of heavy equipment injuries come from getting in or out of the machine. That is when we are the most relaxed and paying the least amount of attention.

JDOFMEMI

That has to hurt. Hope you recover quickly.

You are right, not paying attention to where we are will get us in truoble.

At least you didn't get ran over while laying in the road.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Hope you didnt break anything, can you give us an update so we know all is ok. Sore will help you stay focused. ;)

The frightening thing is just how easy it is. The number of times I have caught myself swinging around the front of the cab to wipe the screen or get to the fuel cap and almost slipped. Given myself a good talking to for being so stupid then a week later done almost the same again. :Banghead

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Well,turns out I have my #7 rib fractured on my right side in the back.My Doc has me on Vicadent to take the edge off which is working some.At least I'm not in severe pain.And of course this had to happen now,just when today I started operating for a friend of mine who has a nice contract over at West Point.I was running his Cat 420 hoe and some other small Cat excavator--running them with a broken rib is fairly easy.It's opening and closing windows and doors that's tough on me.Almost bran new iron--why can't Cat be more user friendly like Deere???

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Hope you didnt break anything, can you give us an update so we know all is ok. Sore will help you stay focused. ;)

The frightening thing is just how easy it is. The number of times I have caught myself swinging around the front of the cab to wipe the screen or get to the fuel cap and almost slipped. Given myself a good talking to for being so stupid then a week later done almost the same again. :Banghead

I was EXTREMELY focused today,especially on all the ice on the parking lot.I told the other operators if I fall,just shoot me.:) Thanks.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Sorry for your trouble,keep well wrapped up and don't get a cold, as it can give you pneumonia very quickly with a broken rib.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Ouch!

I told the other operators if I fall,just shoot me.

Real sorry to hear you broke anything let alone a rib :eek: just dont be a hero, take it easy and let it mend.

As for the door and window opening, get in it and stay in it, :D if you are going to insist on working at least be easy on yourself. :drinkup

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Real sorry to hear you broke anything let alone a rib :eek: just dont be a hero, take it easy and let it mend.

As for the door and window opening, get in it and stay in it, :D if you are going to insist on working at least be easy on yourself. :drinkup

I needed to see and converse some with the laborer.The rear window was filthy.Believe me,I wasn't trying to be a hero and I'm trying my best to let it mend but just standing up from sitting or lying down is a very painful chore.Oh,and thanks.

Arabhacks

Banned
Occupation
Underemplyed Operator
Lowboy operator.

Hello.

3 points of contact, or 1!
I have "fallen out" of just about every machine there is.
The trouble is that this always happens when it is on a trailer.
I fell out of a IH transtar cabover truck tractor.
I have fallen out of a gradall.
I have fallen out of a wheel loader.
You name it, I will find a way to fall out of it. :D
Why is this?
Rule #1.
NEVER carry a grade checker down/up with you.
Rule #2.
Never talk on the cellphone while going down/up.
Rule #3, read rules #1 and #2, as you may end up doing #1 and #2 all over yourself if you don't. :tong

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Good advice there.Rule #4 is ''don't think of some hot woman until both feet are firmly on the ground''. Anyway,I'm almost all healed up now,only hurts some during a violent sneeze.I've also just about exhausted the sympathy card treatment from my GF.:D

bill5362

Occupation
I own a excavation company and a rolloff container
Tuney glad to hear that you are doing better, I have served up a few pieces of humble pie for myself.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Keep your boot laces short,wrenched a knee once when one got caught on a pedal, 22st of stock hanging like a side of beef ; not funny can still feel that pain today.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Anyway,I'm almost all healed up now,only hurts some during a violent sneeze.I've also just about exhausted the sympathy card treatment from my GF.

Good to hear your improving just dont get too confident too quick. Although the odd sneeze will remind you or a while.