1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

donated impletments

Discussion in 'Agricultural Operations' started by aighead, Sep 13, 2022.

1. aighead

aighead Senior Member

Hey Gang, being new to the tractor world begs a question from me and the previous post on this area of the forum reminded me of it... My neighbor got rid of his tractor a few years ago and he still had a mower deck and a flail mower (as he described) left sitting in his back field. Both appear relatively contemporary, if I had to guess, probably from the 1980's maybe, and that's totally a guess. He claimed the flail mower was siezed up but I haven't messed with it. They've both been sitting in my yard for a few years now but I'm interested to see if the flail mower will spin. Is there a good way to do that? Am I risking huge damage to my tractor by hooking it up and trying it out? If it doesn't spin will it rip apart my PTO shaft and innerds?

Thanks!

*uh, implements

2. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

I would try to turn things with a big pipe wrench first if you think its seized. If you hook it to your tractor it should just break the shear bolt in the pto shaft- but I've seen the plates welded on pto shafts too.

Pull some gearboxes open and see what you have.

3. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    Guess I need to type faster Crane Operator beat me to all the same ideas!

Seems like if you could support it so moving parts were off the ground you should be able to turn the drive shaft by hand. I've never been around one in person but seems they are very basic machines with a simple right angle drive to power the shaft with the flails on it.

I would not feel comfortable hooking it to a tractor PTO and putting it in gear with out knowing it actually turned somewhat free. Guess the first thing would be to check for oil in the right angle drive!

4. aighead

aighead Senior Member

Thanks guys. I've got to unbury it from the yard but I'll check it out and likely return with more questions!

5. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

You better quit sleeping in. :)

kshansen, aighead and Truck Shop like this.