• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

does this sounds like a good deal???

petercat966

found a 2001 844c-42 lull for sale. looks good, doesnt seem to be any known problems. seems to be a dry machine. front tires are foam filled rear are liquad filled. all tires have approx 20% tread left. machine has approx 5500 hrs on it. asking price $16,200.
anyone have any advice, questions i should be asking, atc?
thanks in advance
peter

petercat966

almost forgot i started the machine and the oil pressure was just a hair below 20psi. is this normal?
thanks

barklee

They are selling at Ritchie bros or ironplanet for $9000-$13000. The hours are on the high side and the tires are a big concern. They are going to run you foam filled about $3500 (if memory serves me correct). I am confident you can get a really clean machine with half the hours for the same money if you are patient. Telehandelers are very very cheap right now, it is a buyers market for sure. The oil pressure sounds low as well (is this at idle?).
Anyway my two cents is to wait and shop around, i think you can do better.

petercat966

They are selling at Ritchie bros or ironplanet for $9000-$13000. The hours are on the high side and the tires are a big concern. They are going to run you foam filled about $3500 (if memory serves me correct). I am confident you can get a really clean machine with half the hours for the same money if you are patient. Telehandelers are very very cheap right now, it is a buyers market for sure. The oil pressure sounds low as well (is this at idle?).
Anyway my two cents is to wait and shop around, i think you can do better.

thanks for the reply,
yes oil pressure reading is at idle
peter

barklee

There are a few mechanics on here that are better to answer the oil pressure than me. I would be guessing

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
check machinerytrader.com, ironplanet.com, equipmenttrader.com Bargins abound now. Have 45,000 I can get you a 2007 1044C-54 with very low hours:eek: looks like new. Similar machine on fleabay went for 10,000= last week. They guy never told me the year until the last minute so I gave up on the bidding and assumed worst case it was a 1995 with no serial number. Foam & tires 800+ Calcium filled 600+

I would not pay much for a machine unless I personally knew the guy who owned it and he was good ay taking care of it. I agree with barklee on hours and price vs. money. Full tread is 1" + a tad but you can look on like to see tire specs.

Where did the machine come from? Private seller/owner, rental house, or reseller? Million things you should look at especially the boom to make sure it was not bent when over loaded. Listen carefully when it is operating to the boom and make sure it is smooth and no leaks.

You could get the fluids checked also. Check the planetaries, pull the hydraulic filter. Check wear pads & chains.

Auxillary hydraulic at end of boom or rotating carriage? Look for any cracks in the boom or frame. You cannot look to much and bring another set of eyes with you because when you buy it it's yours! Good Luck!

I checked ironplanet and there are 88 for sale in the next few weeks. You can look back a see what they sold for in previous auctions by make or years on ironplanet

Last edited: