1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

DMV???

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by Kenskip1, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Kenskip1

Kenskip1 Active Member

OK. Here is my question.Suppose that I have purchased a dump trailer that can haul 5K.OK so I head to the quarry and get 4K pounds of stone.Now riding home the DMV sees my rig and pulls me over. secretly I am fixing a driveway, not for me but someone else. The trailer is all in compliance and insured. BTW, Trailer gross is 8K. Do I need a special permit to repair a driveway for someone else? Would this be a commercial use for the trailer? I plan to haul my John Deere 17G with it to the site. This is just a "Supposed Situation" .Thanks. Any constructive criticism is welcome, before I take the plunge, Ken

2. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    Based on that scenario I see no reason the DOT man would mess with you short of seeing something unsafe. Generally larger trailers over 10,000 pounds, big equipment and big trucks (duallys, 4500, 5500 etc) draw their attention. Also lettering and phone numbers on things may catch their eye.

How is the equipment titled/insured? Sometimes when they run tags and see xxxx inc or xxx LLC they might ask more questions in regard to use.

I see SAC in your avatar....my dad was part of SAC 65-69.

Kenskip1 likes this.
  3. The Peej

The Peej Well-Known Member

Ues you would be considered a commercial vehicle under federal regulations and would need everything that goes with being a commercial vehicle
    watch this

Camshawn and Kenskip1 like this.