• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

DIY toolcarrier

norite

Hi,

I just bought a John Deere 544 with forks, gp bucket and snow bucket. I would like to put a quick attach on this loader.

Which system would you recommend? From google and reading these forums seems like there is no standard.

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
so right now all 3 attachments are pin on ?

If that's the case, i would suggest just getting a set of hang on forks and just changing buckets once per year for the snow work....it'll cost a fortune to buy the quick coupler, plumb the machine and then adapt all your attachments.

Pj

norite

Everything is pin on, the forks can be hung on the bucket as well but you can't see the tips of the forks with the bucket in the way. I had a set of forks on my former backhoe loader bucket but found I couldn't lift much weight with that set up.

I would like to have a q/c setup but cost is a consideration, I may attempt to build my own if the manufactured ones are too much money. Has anyone else done this?

skipper

Skidsteer QC?

Hi

I'm kinda in the same situation. I have a Cat 416C TLB with a Finning pin on front bucket and I would like to be able to switch to a root rake grapple set up easily.

An implement dealer i spoke with said I can buy a heavy duty skidsteer adapter specifically made for my machine, built by some company from Ontario. Cost $1100.00

If I purchase the adapter I can then use a skidsteer root rake and other attachements.

Of course I would require an attachement adapter on my original bucket and that likely would have to be custom built and expensive to be built strong enough.

Has anyone out there tried this configuration?

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
the skid steer plates are only rated for 4k lbs tops. i sure wouldnt put one on a backhoe, they have enough troubles with back of buckets being ripped out and such. IMO that plate on a backhoe would be a real bad deal!

I personally dont like Q/A they are sloppy but sometimes they are necesarry

Pj

skipper

the skid steer plates are only rated for 4k lbs tops. i sure wouldnt put one on a backhoe, they have enough troubles with back of buckets being ripped out and such. IMO that plate on a backhoe would be a real bad deal!

I personally dont like Q/A they are sloppy but sometimes they are necesarry

Pj

I suspect you are probably right about that. Although I thought something custom built could possibly be built strong enough. Thank you for response.

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
Been thinking about the same issue you are as far as quick attach systems for IT's and etc. Myself I have a 953 track loader that I'd like to go quick attach on but it only has GP bucket, and no aux Hyd. to power the cylinders, however I did find this page, very usefull it was forwarded to me by ATCO, a while back and the more I think about it I feel I can build a manual latch that will still do the same thing.

http://www.dymaxinc.com/attachments/3102/

My thoughts on the matter is to replace the hyd cylinders with a hand operated port-a-power pump on the base plate, with a little work and a good cuttin torch one should be able to remove the original pin brackets and manufacture something similar with this sort of cam lock feature.

here is another Idea that if made properly could retrofit your buckets rather easily, and with proper design and attention to detail you could have a rather inexpensive manually operated quick tach that beats the pants off of pounding pins to change buckets.

Attachments

• Aug15_0004.jpg
    Aug15_0004.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 3,162

norite

In the picture you posted looks like it has the same q/a as our city uses. I saw a similar setup on a snowplow for a loader. The advantage of this one is a single top hook so if bucket isn't level on ground it can be picked up and latched.

The link you posted is something different. The cams should keep the bucket on tight as the mounting points wear. They also use hydraulic check valves so bucket can only unlatch under pressure.

Some combination of the above would seem ideal.

Are you suggesting mounting the porta power hand pump on the loader q/a bracket? Most pp pumps are single acting, you will need something that is double acting, need two hoses if you want to use the check valves to lock that bucket on and then be able to release it.

Last edited:

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
in regards to the idea of the port-a-power unit, it is an idea for sure.......the single action is somewhat of a design issue but I think if once the pins are pushed into place and locked a simple hydraulic shutoff valve will hold them in place (hopefully) to raise the cams I would think that a spring return should suffice.... again this is only some ideas, I'm working through some design issues for my own loader as well right now and when it gets back from the job site later this fall I will deffinatly have to get started on it. The Port-a-power will most deffinatly have to be located on the back plate as it will be used to run the cams, and the locking brackets located on the backside of the bucket. one would have to use at least a 3" cylinder for the cams (guarded of course) and have a travel of at least 6" At this point I am not sure of the resivore capacity of the porta power, but additional reserve may be needed, also to be guarded, and put into place on the back plate.

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
Back to the original question I posted for this thread.

What q/a system do you use or recommend and why?

I guess if I was to make a recomendation I would look for one with the ability to "self tighten" It would seem to me that if ya got sloppy connections it would be next to impossible to hold grade. I guess that and the cost factor is what is been more or less what is driving me to build my own. I do see some good selling points for the Dymax connections, however, further study on my part is needed I guess.

Komatsu 150

We have a "semi" quick tach that Case used to offer on skid loaders. You hook the top of the bucket in the normal way, roll back and then have to put in the two conventional bottom pins. There are adjustable stops so the bucket will stop with the pin holes aligned. Can be done easily by one person. Not nearly as nice as a real quik tach but pretty quick and could be much easier to retrofit if you wanted to build something.

norite

I think the skid steer q/a is a little lightweight for a loader but maybe it could be scaled up. Driving two pins that auto align is much better than no help at all.

I like the dymax system because it takes up slop but needs large cylinders because they are withstanding a lot of force.

I am thinking of a system with either one or two top hooks and small cylinders below to push out tapered wedges instead of pins to lock the bucket on and also take up any wear Cylinders would only need to be small as the wedges would take all the stress from the bucket similar to the way hydraulic driven pins do and the tapered wedge if at a flat enough angle could self lock similar to a morse taper bit on a drill press. If that worked the need for hydraulic check valves might not be necessary. Anyone seen a set up like this?

I also remember seeing a double acting portapower pump which was part of bodyshop repair set with a double acting ram (push pull) from Hein Werner around 1970. I don't know if they still make them, I never saw one again.

As for a pump why not mount it in the cab if you don't want to plumb up a third valve. Either a hand pump or 12v electric beside the seat would save climbing down to change attachments.

all for now.

Last edited:

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
If I were to change anything about the Dymax system it would be to add a lock to the cams.....wether it be a hydrualic lock or a manual one......with that said I believe the system is very effective and as I stated before with a bit of welding shop know how, it can be adapted to just about any bucket. This is all a matter of preference of the owner I would say. wedges will work for lighter machines but in my case I do not see how any tapered wedge will stand up to the day to day rigors of track loader work, I would think that the wedges will become worn, or bent and need to be replaced regularly.

laketreefarm

Occupation
Owner
I have a Komatsu WA 180 that has a ACS system which has the self aligning yoke on the top and two hydraulic pins on the bottom. We mount a 2yd. bucket, a 15' Crane boom and Forks and it's very tight, easy to swap tools. A solenoid switch bypasses the tilt valve to lock or unlock the pins. Very HD nice system.

bushmechanic

montel I really dont think the QA in your photo would be strong enough That little piece of flat iron would not stand up to alot of abuse. I have done work on loaders and graders converting them to QA and you can find a used Qa and adapt it to fit the loader. then you can just make your own blonks or buy from a dealer. As for plumming I have done it 2 ways. One was using a 12 volt hydo power pack and the other was plumming in a 12 volt hydro valve

bushmechanic

Mind you i tend to over build things so they don't come back to my shop. But if he is thinking of keeping the loader for a wile might as well spend the money now as later and get the joy of not getting out to change buckets or forks

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
This particular quick tach in the picture was on a lighter duty loader, I don't think that the quick tach in this instance was intended to be used for heavy loads, however any good welding shop can take the same idea and build to suit for the applications that it is being asked of it. As for myself, well it's been all winter so far, and my 53 aint made it home yet... so I'm still how would you say, stuck with pounding pins if I need to change to the rake. Not that I'm using a root rake in this kind of weather.

Actually it isn't so bad for a while, as I've taken some time to machine my own set of pins from some O-1 tool steel (unhardened) I made them a little longer and put a long taper on them so that alignment in the field is a bit easier. I choose the 0-1 (oil hardening tool steel) because of it's toughness characteristics and it is much less likely to break than mild steel. It was left unhardened to reduce the likelyhood of a fracture from use due to the fact that I don't have a heat treat oven and heating with a torch only will muck things up.

As for which brands to choose... I still think Dymax makes a good unit but that don't mean that it is the only one out there.

Deeretime

Occupation
superintendent
Go to johndeere`s parts website, they have the selonoid valve and switch to mount on the machine to activate the hyd quick attach, use a 2`` x8`` huyd cylender and use it to push and pull 2 pins either out the bottom or out the side.

I Had a CRAIG quick hitch for my 544h and it was bullet proof, not to mention i could fabricate a bucket mount in half a day with ease !

http://www.craig-mfg.com/WL/QKM.asp

Johnsteve

Occupation
Business
Do you think ..... Beside this for security Purpose.
Do we use Some High Quality Plastic Barriers for Safety Purpose ???
Any one suggest me ?