1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

DIY Screening for Homestead

Discussion in 'Screen/Wash Plants' started by Anthony Friot, Apr 16, 2020.

  1. aighead

    aighead Senior Member

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2019
    Messages:
    1,097
    Location:
    Dayton, OH
    Thanks Willie. I'm using Rock Tough screens as examples to look at as I'm building mine. We'll see how it goes, theirs are WAY beefier than mine will be.

    Yesterday, I started tearing down my pallet rack uprights. I cut off the supports that hold the 2 vertical beams, then cut the two 15' uprights down to two 11' high beams and two 4' high beams. I also welded a couple feet onto the 11 footers. Unfortunately, the feet are much to weak, I'm not sure how much that matters once the whole frame is together and I assume, at that point the feet will just keep the whole thing from sinking in the dirt (I could double or triple the thickness of the feet too, to beef them up a bit). My welding is still sloppy. I just have a small MIG welder that's running off 110v and while it worked to attach the feet I'm not sure I've got good penetration, though I'm also not positive I've got my setting correct on the welder, I've got a bit of learning to do. I did wail away on the feet a bit, with a hammer, and they stayed attached.

    Then, I stood up the 11' tall beams. They are too tall. I'm not smart enough to do the math on having a 45 degree screen and how tall my uprights need to be, so I've left that to autoCAD, but I probably need to go back in and check that again. Realistically, as long as I have the 45 degrees about right the height of the uprights and their distance horizontally, from each other, doesn't really matter does it? My guess is that I'll have to bring the 11' down to 10' or maybe less. It's also hard to determine how high the loader bucket can really clear. I don't want to be at risk of hitting the screener but I also want to make it high enough to be able to make a good pile of rock before needing to clean out.

    We'll see. So far it isn't making me feel too dumb yet, but there's plenty of time for that!
     
  2. aighead

    aighead Senior Member

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2019
    Messages:
    1,097
    Location:
    Dayton, OH
    OK, so I started lining stuff up for the screen and quickly came to the conclusion that I don't want to cut metal unless I really understand what I'm doing. Thusly, I'm building a 1/32nd scale model of the screener.

    My lovely wife had these sticks handy, and 1/32nd is the size I could accommodate. Some of the trial measurements are very close so it may be too small but I hope to get a decent idea of how I need to cut everything so it fits properly.

    Here's the progress so far... Converting picture one into picture two.

    Screenshot_20211101-171939_Gallery.jpg

    20211101_184921.jpg
     
  3. aighead

    aighead Senior Member

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2019
    Messages:
    1,097
    Location:
    Dayton, OH
    More model pictures. I've got all the pieces scaled out, with a bit of variation to see how that goes, except the screen itself. They are glued up now and I'll start arranging things next.

    20211101_201954.jpg
     
  4. aighead

    aighead Senior Member

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2019
    Messages:
    1,097
    Location:
    Dayton, OH
    I had my model parts all glued up and ready to start constructing. I touched the pieces and they all fell apart. I guess I'll just be trying it out on the real thing.
     
  5. Willie B

    Willie B Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2016
    Messages:
    2,813
    Occupation:
    Electrician
    Location:
    Mount Tabor VT
    I had an area 70' X 30' graveled & smooth. I wanted a bit more length & less steep. I dug through the processed gravel to expose boulders & broke one too big to move with fire. After I had grade down to where I wanted it& everything bigger than a basketball hauled away, I wanted to remove more rock.

    I got two dirt trays cut from 275 gallon fuel tanks & set up the screen. Mine isn't perfect, the bars are 5" apart. An hour after set up I had screened 25 cubic yards of the top layer. I filled two dirt trays with rocks ranging from basketball size to 5" smallest dimension. I can pick the rest with a rake.
     
    aighead likes this.