1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

DIY Screening for Homestead

Discussion in 'Screen/Wash Plants' started by Anthony Friot, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Jonas302

Jonas302 Senior Member

I like reading your postings of course lots of us have or can think of different ways to accomplish the goal I just love out of the box thinking and trying out what you have to work with

aighead likes this.
  2. Anthony Friot

Anthony Friot Active Member

aidhead...Thank you. But even if you don't have need for something of this size, smaller versions can be made on the cheap. I'm working on a garage now that the neighbor is using the soil removed from making the concrete pad to fill low spots in the yard. My machine is too big for the smaller yard tractor. Scaling my design down would be easy for smaller loaders than I have. Mine is a Case 480C. Mine is small compared for many other machines I have seen since I built mine. I tried to give examples of design changes I would make if I made one again and think they could also be scaled down...even to a shovel load motorized sifter, though a single screen would most likely be needed only.

I plan to build a rock crusher in the not so distant future...I have a thread started, I just need to be able to free up enough time to work on it. I'm thinking maybe a 12 x 6 jaw opening and a 1-1/2" final size. I mostly need it for rubble trench, drain and driveway. Fines will be sifted for topping the driveway.

DMiller and aighead like this.
  3. aighead

aighead Senior Member

Well, a neighbor, as noted in a different thread, has turned about 30 acres of trees and brush into an enormous pile of trees and brush and has flipped the field over in what appears to be an effort to farm it eventually. The wife and I have nosed around a bit and found there to be a ton (figuratively) of rocks in the soil. Probably plenty for my pond project. I really can't imagine I'll go to these lengths to make a screener but it's lovely to know you've provided some insight to how it could be done. I have a 2 acre field in the back that I could likely talk someone into plowing, just to flip up some rock to harvest, and then I'd let it grow over again, but it seems unlikely I'll do that.

DMiller likes this.
  4. Anthony Friot

Anthony Friot Active Member

I had a 2 1/2 acre lot before buying this property. There was a pile of soil someone left where it didn't belong. I assume there was about 3 yard of material. While living there I was confronted with several seemingly small rocks poking out of the ground. I was bored one day and being a person who was tired of hitting rocks with new mower blades and also wanted a nice lawn for others to enjoy looking at. Boy was I naive! Anyway, I grabbed a shovel, 6 foot piece of drilling rod for a pry bar and proceeded to dig up the offending stones. I tell ya, after the tenth stone, I wish I hadn't started the project. Not a one of them were under 20 lb and a couple were 50 lb or so. They left large holes in the yard. I began filling the yard trailer behind the lawn mower with dirt from the old pile. I quickly found that I would be filling the rock holes with more rock! I wasn't exactly thrilled. While the rocks were smaller, I knew the frost would be bringing them to the surface to be struck by the mower. NOT ON MY WATCH!!! I made a 4 legged frame large enough that I could place near the pile and back my little trailer under with my mower. I got pretty good at backing that short little thing! I made a 2x4 frame just a bit smaller than my trailer. I wrapped 1/4" hardware cloth across the bottom and up the outside where they were fastened to the 2x4s with screws. I then hung the sifting tray from the 4 legged frame. I could fill the tray with a shovel and manually shake the tray. In no time at all I could sift out all rocks and vegetation in a matter of 10 seconds. It would take several cycles to fill my little trailer, but I was busy and outside in the fresh air doing my lawnly man tasks!

Use medium sized open hooks and chain large enough to accommodate them in hanging your sifter so that you can easily remove the sifter tray to dump the waste rock and debris and return the tray to the frame for another load of soil for sifting. I would say that this small sifter can get heavy with stones and other debris so depending on the rock to soil ratio, plan your load to make it easy to lift your tray to unload your rocks.

I remember very well the amount of work I did to make my lawn presentable and to not hit large rocks with my mower. But my new project is much larger and I needed something on a sub-commercial scale to help me get the work done. While not as fast as having rock delivered, it certainly has been more fun and economical. Plus, my wife and I built it together!

Please play safely!

DMiller, aighead and colson04 like this.
  5. aighead

aighead Senior Member

Hmm... I'll have to consider this. Even in a small 10'x10' space I imagine there is more dirt than I want to move via a shovel, but I may be able to find a compromise. Free or close to free with some manual labor may be worth it for an endless supply of rocks.

DMiller likes this.