• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Disconnect backup alarm on a home situation?

aighead

I disconnected mine pretty quickly after I got it. The machine itself is loud enough, I, too have neighbors that I don't want to bother regardless of time of day. And the BU alarm was making me bonkers.

Nifty Hoops

My Deere 310 has a backup alarm. I've given some thought to adding a switch to disconnect it. The noise carries far, and I don't want to **** off the neighbors, especially if I am plowing snow at night or early in the AM. There isn't anyone around when I work, as it's my home, and not a constructions site, so it's probably not necessary. Even so, I think I would be liable if someone got hurt and the alarm was off.

Maybe the answer is to research Massachusetts law to see what's required.
Did you ever figure this out? I just bought one. Home projects. And one of the neighbors is complaining already. Haven't found diagram/schematics yet. Don't want to give myself down time by cutting the wrong wire... Thanks

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
My Deere 310 has a backup alarm. I've given some thought to adding a switch to disconnect it. The noise carries far, and I don't want to **** off the neighbors, especially if I am plowing snow at night or early in the AM. There isn't anyone around when I work, as it's my home, and not a constructions site, so it's probably not necessary. Even so, I think I would be liable if someone got hurt and the alarm was off.

Maybe the answer is to research Massachusetts law to see what's required.
You could apply a piece of gorilla tape to the front to attenuate the volume, it'll still warn anyone within a dozen feet without letting the whole state know.

Tyler d4c

In my time under OSHA and MSHA rules, it still amazes me that UPS has not seen fit, much less be FORCED to equip their trucks with backup alarms.
Shows ya what I know.....
The reason is it is ups policy to sound there horn before the vehicle is set in motion if they do is another story

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Mine are all on toggle switches citing the neighbors. Not necessary if nobody around to me.

Mobilewrench

I am not sure what a white noise back up alarm is.
The BU alarm on my service truck has variable volume based on the noise level around it. I can't even hear it from the cab... Until I back into something, then it is really loud.
I have outfitted a lot of client machines that work in residential areas with this type.

Now I am off to Google white noise back up alarm.

But, in my opinion, travel alarms save lives and I get pretty annoyed when I find that an operator has disabled one. I am not trying to start an argument with that; I am not going to change anybody's opinion on that and nobody is going to change mine.

cw4Bray

I know an operator who backed over his very own two year old son with a skid steer, the boy died.

A two year old kid doesn't pay attention to alarms - so they don't work. If I was going disable a backup alarm, I'd add other safety equipment like a remote camera, to counter the loss of safety.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I know an operator who backed over his very own two year old son with a skid steer, the boy died.

A two year old kid doesn't pay attention to alarms - so they don't work. If I was going disable a backup alarm, I'd add other safety equipment like a remote camera, to counter the loss of safety.
Well a few years back my wife's car was hit in the back so apparently brake brake lights don't work either!

cw4Bray

Now,... That was funny !!! Your wife might not think so, but that was funny !! I don't equate brake lights to an audio backup alarm, though.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Well a few years back my wife's car was hit in the back so apparently brake brake lights don't work either!
I had a 1989 Dodge Spirit car I'd purchased in 1992 as a bank repossession and my wife drove it. Real scooter with a Turbo II engine, Mopar Performance engine parts and Borla exhaust. That car was better to me than the stock market as it was rear ended five times by different parties and I rebuilt it each time. Finally sold it off with 398,825K on the clock as it was getting rusty. It didn't quite make 400K before the teenager driving it ran into the rear of somebody changing a CD in the dash. I towed it to the local scrapyard.

No backup alarm on this one but it did have functioning brake lights; even when wrecked in the rear.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Today was a a solute Sh!t show. City street, been excavated to 20” depth so I am first in with twenty ton Type 5 base highway grade to make the ramp to fill to Five inch depth from curb. Blue Hairs in sub compacts, idiot contractors in pickups doing something then the City Light Bulb change crew shows up IN THE WAY and angry I am backing across the four way intersection to dump my rock.
Alarm bleating, backup lamps on and the truck moving took a city cop to get them out of my way. Was that way all morning.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Every time I back into a parking spot, it seems an idiot or three insists on walking directly behind me as I'm reversing. So many people are simply "switched off".

SWMBO's Toyota Camry has a parking sensor on it that beeps - but it's a beeper in the cabin that warns the driver when the car body is close to anything. No sound outside.
It works to the rear, and to the sides of the rear too.

I don't see why this technology can't be applied to construction equipment.
A guy 6 houses up the street has a Hyundai iLoad van that is a company unit, and it has a loud reversing beeper on it.
So every time he goes for a drive to smoke some weed, we can hear him every single time, about every 2 hrs on average (his wife doesn't let him smoke weed in the house, apparently). Not good for people on shift work wanting to sleep.

Reversing beepers are the most annoying thing ever invented, and a construction site with 10 machines all going backwards and forwards, is just a cacophony of annoying noise.

Interestingly, people on the autism spectrum become quite agitated at the sound of reversing beepers, they have a heightened response to penetrating noises.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Too many backup alarms make you ignore the sound. Our 180 Volvo has a beeper like a cat coughing up a furball. Really stands out in the crowd.

JD955SC

Those types of BU alarms are mandated on certain large urban construction projects in Toronto. Anything to do with Rail or subways and you must have one of those alarms.

I'll tell you working on a site with 25+ of those alarms going off constantly and you can't tell where one is compared to the other. Totally useless. A flashing strobe would be much more effective.

I agree. In fact on two large wheel loaders we delivered to a customer late last year my special projects list were to add a customer supplied 360 camera system and then blue strobe lights that activated in reverse.

I would up putting a pair of 360 degree beacons with blue lenses at each corner of the rear bumper for full 180 degree visibility.

And to me it made sense. Especially when so many people on site are in pickups or other construction equipment and not on foot to hear and locate it quickly. This is an instant visual indication.

JD955SC

Every time I back into a parking spot, it seems an idiot or three insists on walking directly behind me as I'm reversing. So many people are simply "switched off".

SWMBO's Toyota Camry has a parking sensor on it that beeps - but it's a beeper in the cabin that warns the driver when the car body is close to anything. No sound outside.
It works to the rear, and to the sides of the rear too.

I don't see why this technology can't be applied to construction equipment.
A guy 6 houses up the street has a Hyundai iLoad van that is a company unit, and it has a loud reversing beeper on it.
So every time he goes for a drive to smoke some weed, we can hear him every single time, about every 2 hrs on average (his wife doesn't let him smoke weed in the house, apparently). Not good for people on shift work wanting to sleep.

Reversing beepers are the most annoying thing ever invented, and a construction site with 10 machines all going backwards and forwards, is just a cacophony of annoying noise.

Interestingly, people on the autism spectrum become quite agitated at the sound of reversing beepers, they have a heightened response to penetrating noises.

I have installed such object detection systems on construction equipment and also some OEMs offer it as well as either a factory option or a dealer installed option.