1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Disconnect backup alarm on a home situation?

Discussion in 'Safety Issues' started by emmett518, Jun 18, 2021.

1. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    Now that is different.

2. WaterDoc

WaterDoc Well-Known Member

Complete water system disinfection services
    Those types of BU alarms are mandated on certain large urban construction projects in Toronto. Anything to do with Rail or subways and you must have one of those alarms.

I'll tell you working on a site with 25+ of those alarms going off constantly and you can't tell where one is compared to the other. Totally useless. A flashing strobe would be much more effective.

3. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    Interesting to see mention of flashing strobes. The quarry where I worked a few years back had a contract to supply material for work on the section of I-90 near us. The amount of material was such that to keep up we had to run the plant more or less round the clock. Only down a few hours between shifts to fuel up and grease things.

To keep neighbors happy company got permission from MSHA to turn off back-up alarms and use strobes from sun down to sun up on the haul trucks and front end loaders. I wired them up with a simple toggle switch the operator could flip from on to the other. On some machines it was easiest to mount the switch at the back-up alarm on the rear and some I made it easy for operators and mounted the toggle right in the cab.

DMiller likes this.
  4. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    With my ears, I haven't been able to tell where any noise is coming from for years. Travel alarms have become just another sound now so whenever I'm on a job site I wear all the colors I can and my head is on a swivel. We also use a lot of quackery here and they are far more obnoxious that any motion alarm I've had to deal with in the past.

News report told of a man that backed over on Wednesday by a dump truck. Apparently. the cab video showed the travel alarm was working. The news media implied that the accident "may" have happened because there was no rear view camera on the truck.

DMiller likes this.
  5. 361brock

361brock Well-Known Member

retired
    I have switches on all 6 of my machines that turn off the alarm. When I am moving equipment into neighborhoods either after 10pm or before 5am, that alarm is worse than the machine itself. Even where my yard is there are homes within 500ft. Also when clearing snow in parking lots after hrs, I'm not listening to that all night.

6. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

I don't think it absolves me of any responsibility of having a spotter, but I'm really happy to have a camera on the dump truck. it's just another tool in the toolbox.

DMiller likes this.
  7. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Back up alarms, strobe lights, cameras, people running around dressed in chartreuse, orange suites, shirts, hats, socks, underware, gloves
    everything in bright colors. I though we got over the Elvis look a long time ago. OTR drivers waring safety shirts in the cab of their truck with
    a safety coat hanging over the back of the shotgun seat. What's next safety colored prophylactic's with strobes and backup alarm.

But try being in a shop and having to do brakes, brakes have to be released with wheels chocked. On later Freightliner Cascadia's if the yellow
    button is pushed in and brakes released and the drivers door is opened the city horn starts a rapid Blaring obnoxious honking. Why because
    of drivers forgetting to set their brakes because there is no park mode like a car with a automatic. Idiots forgetting to set the brakes. So another
    item installed to stop brain dead people from committing the stupid. Meanwhile I go Deaf from a safety horn.

Tugger2, DB2, kshansen and 3 others like this.
  8. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    Have the same regards to the super safety nonsense, need to be trained as aware of surroundings or at least brain active to be aware of surroundings and do not get ran over in a construction yard or forget to set a parking brake as a driver.

As we deliver clay to a cement producer the loads are dumped inside a turn of the century building, once inside you cannot leave the cab without safety eyewear, safety toe boots, a fluorescent yellow best or shirt on and a hard hat. Is nothing except the truck allowed One at a Time, loader in use cannot access, building has no cranes or mobile upper structure and the pile is shoved back at a angle the loaders can climb to push up with nothing to fall or impinge on a safety condition.
    Just stupid.

Camshawn and Truck Shop like this.
  9. fast_st

fast_st Senior Member

IT systems admin
    Osha isn't poking around your home, if you're out in the sticks that backup alarm carries for a mile. I had someone move my truck in the yard and I was on the other side of the hill, could hear it plain as day while talking to someone. I'd put a switch on it. IF its working a job site, yes indeed you want the backup alarm, but 3am clearing the snow from your driveway, cut it off. My dump truck has an alarm on the body hoist, same backup alarm but under the body, oddly it has a fuse that falls out of the holder when its not time for an inspection sticker.

Every excavator i've rented and even the fire trucks have a 'backup alarm disable' switch that's good until the key switch is cycled.

DMiller likes this.
  10. JLarson

JLarson Senior Member

Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
    We have alarms we QD in for projects that want one. Otherwise if we can see out the rear view of it no stupid beeper. I'd rather use the horn and flash warning lights where needed over a constantly beeping thing people get used too.

All my trucks have aux reverse lights too, pretty hard to miss like on my service truck when the two 3,000 lumen rear deck floods come on along with the 4" DOT reverse lights.

DMiller likes this.
  11. Tugger2

Tugger2 Senior Member

Seems like forward alarms should be next for those that cant put thier phones down.

DMiller, Camshawn, Tinkerer and 3 others like this.
  12. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

I suspect a phone was involved with this one.
    [​IMG]

DMiller and Truck Shop like this.
  13. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    Comments have been made that Tesla and other electric machine producers are going to be required to add a noise generator for blind people so they won’t step off curbs into them.

14. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

It is no joke you can move a Prius around quite a bit on battery only, and damn they sneak up on you.

DMiller likes this.
  15. Bluox

Bluox Senior Member

You should see horses come unglued when a Prius drives thru the barnyard in the stealth mode.
    Bob

DMiller and skyking1 like this.
  16. catman13

catman13 Senior Member

refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
    my skid steer had a back up alarm when i got i,t first thing i did was rip the dumb thing off and put a WHITE SOUND 1 on it and now it is great to run

DMiller likes this.
  17. westerner

westerner Well-Known Member

Interesting discussion. I would ask this-

Have you ever heard a UPS truck backup alarm?
    If not, why not?

DMiller likes this.