• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Disconnect backup alarm on a home situation?

WaterDoc

Occupation
Complete water system disinfection services
Heymccall has the best idea for the BU alarm... This video demo's a directional BU alarm. IMHO the best solution... Skip to 1:25 to miss the Verbosity
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=white+noise+backup+alarm&&view=detail&mid=F4D49FB5A042EDFAC7B1F4D49FB5A042EDFAC7B1&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=/videos/search?q=white%20noise%20backup%20alarm&&FORM=VDVVXX
Those types of BU alarms are mandated on certain large urban construction projects in Toronto. Anything to do with Rail or subways and you must have one of those alarms.

I'll tell you working on a site with 25+ of those alarms going off constantly and you can't tell where one is compared to the other. Totally useless. A flashing strobe would be much more effective.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I'll tell you working on a site with 25+ of those alarms going off constantly and you can't tell where one is compared to the other. Totally useless. A flashing strobe would be much more effective.

Interesting to see mention of flashing strobes. The quarry where I worked a few years back had a contract to supply material for work on the section of I-90 near us. The amount of material was such that to keep up we had to run the plant more or less round the clock. Only down a few hours between shifts to fuel up and grease things.

To keep neighbors happy company got permission from MSHA to turn off back-up alarms and use strobes from sun down to sun up on the haul trucks and front end loaders. I wired them up with a simple toggle switch the operator could flip from on to the other. On some machines it was easiest to mount the switch at the back-up alarm on the rear and some I made it easy for operators and mounted the toggle right in the cab.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
With my ears, I haven't been able to tell where any noise is coming from for years. Travel alarms have become just another sound now so whenever I'm on a job site I wear all the colors I can and my head is on a swivel. We also use a lot of quackery here and they are far more obnoxious that any motion alarm I've had to deal with in the past.

News report told of a man that backed over on Wednesday by a dump truck. Apparently. the cab video showed the travel alarm was working. The news media implied that the accident "may" have happened because there was no rear view camera on the truck.

361brock

Occupation
retired
I have switches on all 6 of my machines that turn off the alarm. When I am moving equipment into neighborhoods either after 10pm or before 5am, that alarm is worse than the machine itself. Even where my yard is there are homes within 500ft. Also when clearing snow in parking lots after hrs, I'm not listening to that all night.

skyking1

I don't think it absolves me of any responsibility of having a spotter, but I'm really happy to have a camera on the dump truck. it's just another tool in the toolbox.

Truck Shop

Back up alarms, strobe lights, cameras, people running around dressed in chartreuse, orange suites, shirts, hats, socks, underware, gloves
everything in bright colors. I though we got over the Elvis look a long time ago. OTR drivers waring safety shirts in the cab of their truck with
a safety coat hanging over the back of the shotgun seat. What's next safety colored prophylactic's with strobes and backup alarm.

But try being in a shop and having to do brakes, brakes have to be released with wheels chocked. On later Freightliner Cascadia's if the yellow
button is pushed in and brakes released and the drivers door is opened the city horn starts a rapid Blaring obnoxious honking. Why because
of drivers forgetting to set their brakes because there is no park mode like a car with a automatic. Idiots forgetting to set the brakes. So another
item installed to stop brain dead people from committing the stupid. Meanwhile I go Deaf from a safety horn.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Have the same regards to the super safety nonsense, need to be trained as aware of surroundings or at least brain active to be aware of surroundings and do not get ran over in a construction yard or forget to set a parking brake as a driver.

As we deliver clay to a cement producer the loads are dumped inside a turn of the century building, once inside you cannot leave the cab without safety eyewear, safety toe boots, a fluorescent yellow best or shirt on and a hard hat. Is nothing except the truck allowed One at a Time, loader in use cannot access, building has no cranes or mobile upper structure and the pile is shoved back at a angle the loaders can climb to push up with nothing to fall or impinge on a safety condition.
Just stupid.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
My Deere 310 has a backup alarm. I've given some thought to adding a switch to disconnect it. The noise carries far, and I don't want to **** off the neighbors, especially if I am plowing snow at night or early in the AM. There isn't anyone around when I work, as it's my home, and not a constructions site, so it's probably not necessary. Even so, I think I would be liable if someone got hurt and the alarm was off.

Maybe the answer is to research Massachusetts law to see what's required.

Osha isn't poking around your home, if you're out in the sticks that backup alarm carries for a mile. I had someone move my truck in the yard and I was on the other side of the hill, could hear it plain as day while talking to someone. I'd put a switch on it. IF its working a job site, yes indeed you want the backup alarm, but 3am clearing the snow from your driveway, cut it off. My dump truck has an alarm on the body hoist, same backup alarm but under the body, oddly it has a fuse that falls out of the holder when its not time for an inspection sticker.

Every excavator i've rented and even the fire trucks have a 'backup alarm disable' switch that's good until the key switch is cycled.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
We have alarms we QD in for projects that want one. Otherwise if we can see out the rear view of it no stupid beeper. I'd rather use the horn and flash warning lights where needed over a constantly beeping thing people get used too.

All my trucks have aux reverse lights too, pretty hard to miss like on my service truck when the two 3,000 lumen rear deck floods come on along with the 4" DOT reverse lights.

skyking1

I suspect a phone was involved with this one.
ada88afcdc2bb85fd124cfbad02d4c7f.jpg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Comments have been made that Tesla and other electric machine producers are going to be required to add a noise generator for blind people so they won’t step off curbs into them.

catman13

Occupation
refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
my skid steer had a back up alarm when i got i,t first thing i did was rip the dumb thing off and put a WHITE SOUND 1 on it and now it is great to run

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Interesting discussion. I would ask this-

Have you ever heard a UPS truck backup alarm?
If not, why not?

Can't say I have and it doesn't matter to me as the Infernal Government through OSHA states our equipment must have a back up alarm or some other nonsense that's more expensive to implement.

So our insurance company writes that regulation into our policy due to the knuckle dragging trial lawyers drooling at the mouth to go over every Federal Regulation on the bookds in the event of an accident in order to collect a dollar or millions.

Don't know about UPS, their policy or fed regulations pertaining to them and don't care as it doesn't pertain to the construction industry.

Tinkerer

We are all used to construction related equipment and trucks.
I'm guessing UPS trucks may not be under a back-up alarm regulation.
I have never heard one on any of the FedEx or UPS trucks that have been to my house.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
UPS is probably a special case. They never, ever fail to beep the horn when they back up. Somebody must be looking over their shoulders to make sure they do it every time or else they would not do it so reliably. They probably are their own insurance company, they are so gigantic, so they get to write their own rules.

Ambulances usually have a backup alarm cancel switch and the drivers always seem to use them. Except for me, I never did except under special circumstances. It is a big box backing up usually in the dark with people milling around. I want everyone to know that I am backing up, in a situation like that. The patient is not going to be bothered by a few seconds of mild beeping outside.