• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Disc Harrow for Finishing

Greg in KY

This may not be the right place to post this but-

I am looking at agricultural style disc harrows to do finish work for sowing seed on small lawn projects.

Probably a 3 point lift, 6' disc on about a 35hp ag tractor.

Do I need smooth blades/coulters or do I need the notched style?

Thanks, Greg

Last edited:

dirty4fun

I would say smooth also. I have used a steel tooth drag quite a few times to level and fill in the low spots. I had a drag made out of steel wheel bands, that was pretty easy to haul and worked good also.

atgreene

I would recommend smooth, as well as perhaps a drag style rather than 3pth. The drag will follow contours better and won't break disks in tight turns. I have a couple chain pasture harrows that I use by hanging them from my bucket on the excavator and spinning in a circle. Does a nice job of leveling and smoothing. You will need something for a pasture harrow to smooth out behind the disk.

AT&SW

Occupation
equipment owner/operator
For finishing disk then drag spreading your seed in between will give you a nice finish.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
A neighbor has a reverse tine rototiller for his tractor and it does an awesome job, somehow it makes rocks disapear. I Imagine after disking you would need to run over it with a york, harley rake, or rockhound to prep for seed.

Greg in KY

Thanks for the replies,

I just sold a nice drag type disc because I could not get in tight places with it. It did a good job otherwise but was sorta aggravating to move locations.

I was pretty sure I would be better off with the smooth because I would not be in sod.

For a drag-
I use about a 10' length of 6' chain link fencing with a 4" I-beam spreader across the front. This works as well as anything and can be shortened by simply folding it over on itself or rolled up an thrown in a pickup for easy hauling.

My rock removal equipment is a 5 gallon bucket.

Last edited:

jrtraderny

"My rock removal equipment is a 5 gallon bucket."

Always starts 1st pull.............................
jr

CAT D7 man

I've got a 35HP Kubota with a 3-point disk. If you have clay soil, smooth discs won't penetrate satisfactorly. I have a 6' disk with notched discs on the front gang and smooth discs on the rear gang. I learned the hard way that LandPride is probably the only disk worth owning if you're tilling with a utility tractor without rear hydraulics.

Plan on making repetitive passes ie. back & forth, diagonally. It is almost impossible to avoid ridging. I have not succeded in 15 years of trying.

Larry