• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dirty Cabs on Equipment

rshackleford

Rdo said they are voiding warranties due to dirty cabs. They said mud gets in the pedals and causes them to malfunction sometimes activating the brakes and not releasing them.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Rdo said they are voiding warranties due to dirty cabs. They said mud gets in the pedals and causes them to malfunction sometimes activating the brakes and not releasing them.

Don't know about warranties, but more than once I have been asked to check out a "transmission problem" on a front end loader to find the real problem to be mud and dirt under the left brake/neutralizer peddle holding it down just enough to actuate the neutral valve in the transmission.

bigshow

I know a guy that had some problems with his brakes hanging up on a 680K, went through two brake cans and a bunch of headaches to realize it was mud under the pedal. It was enough that it was actuating the brakes.

HATCHEQUIP

Weve done several wet brake jobs when they start overfilling the diffs because the brakes were burnt out from mud holding the brake pdals down just that little bit

bushcat

Occupation
heo
yes I"ve seen this also, guys complaining about no high idle or their engine brake not working because of all the dirt under the fuel peddle go figure.

wornout wrench

One place I worked had one driver was a bit of a pig and his cab was his pig pen and hog wallow all in one.
The boss kept telling it to clean it out or he would get one of the mechanics to do it.
Well after about a week of telling him, I got the task.

The boss told me to open both doors and take a fire hose to it, take the camp radio out first (Just a note here, truck was an old Hayes HDX off hiway logging truck, not much electrics in it)

I had a riot, hosed the roof off, stuck the hose down the defroster, washed all the garbage off the floor.
But the best part was the seat, boy did it get special attention.
I soaked it, must have taken a week to dry.

Man was operator PO'd

BUT

The next time the boss said something about his cab was getting a little dirty inside and he was going to get me to clean it again.

The truck got cleaned right away:rolleyes:

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
I don't armor all the floor mats, but I keep a clean cab and especially windows on anything I run. I have flat out refused to run machines a few times because the cabs were absolutely filthy with dip-spit, sunflower seeds, butts and other crap.
The cab is my office for at least 8 hours a day, I want it reasonably clean.

bigshow

Q, I can respect that, I don't expect anyone to armor all their floor. It's just something I do, O.C.D. sucks, plus I'm a finish grade hand so it's not like I really get dirty. For windows I've found using a squeegee with a scrubber side works best for me on windows, it's a lot faster and more efficient than paper towels, plus I save the company money by not using towels. I just don't understand how people can sit in a pig stye, it takes less than a minute to sweep the floor out, and another minute to wipe off the dash with an old rag.