1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Digging with the boss's dinosaur

Discussion in 'Tractor/Loader/Backhoes' started by Jeckyl1920, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Jeckyl1920

Jeckyl1920 Well-Known Member

2. Boisebiker

Boisebiker Member

Still beats a shovel!!!

3. hosspuller

hosspuller Senior Member

Can't see it without an account.

4. Boisebiker

Boisebiker Member

Short video of a old Kabota small backhoe digging a trench.

5. Jeckyl1920

The trenches.

20181108_144316.jpg

The linkage was all loose. You had to twist the levers to hold them at about 45 degrees. Play and find the sweet spot.

Good 20181108_144414.jpg
    And not so much.... 20181108_144437.jpg 20181108_144424.jpg
    The left handle spins, so you have to keep your left eye on it.

And if you baby the swing, and try to add another function it jumped to full swing speed. Pretty sketchy. Lol

6. Jeckyl1920

7. Boisebiker

Boisebiker Member

Cool to see old iron still doing its thing.

sled dog likes this.
  8. Jeckyl1920

Yep, works fine for some garage footings! It's not the best footing hopper, but its paid for, and still making its living.

9. Jeckyl1920

Here's the full vid.

10. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

s/e Heavy equipment operator
    Awww shucks, that looks like a new machine compared to my dynahoe!!! at least you got two sticks and four wheel drive... I have four sticks and two wheel drive - gets real interesting trying to do more than two things at once but is doable. But I do have to admit running the new stuff we have is nice!!!

Nice work on the footings by the way :)

Jeckyl1920 likes this.
  11. Jeckyl1920

I've ran 4 stick. That would have been easier. The swing on this thing is either turtle or "slap the labor in the face" unless you get it at just the perfect angle in the cradle.

I'm not complaining tho. This was good practice at trying to finess a beast into submission. And thanks. Between the rocks and the crazy swings, I'm surprised it came out semi straight. Especially since these were just quick pipe trenches. I think it helped that it didn't have enough power to drag the machine around a lot.

You can see me twisting the handles when it's not doing what I'm telling it to do.

12. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

s/e Heavy equipment operator
    Sounds like it needs a little TLC... a new pin/bushing or two in the stick assemblies to tighten things up a bit???

Wish mine was a cheap easy fix... but for the money i'd have to put into it could probably find a halfway tight working machine.

Some of the spools on mine stick which makes it a bit easier to trench with cause you can nudge the stick stick forward with the right hand while dumping the bucket and it'll stay there til you 'cancel it' but like yours if your swinging and a cylinder bottoms out or stops the swing speeds up considerably :eek:

DB2 and Jeckyl1920 like this.
  13. Jeckyl1920

Ya, I dont think he's going to put money in it any time soon.

The weird thing is, if I got the swing to open partially, then stick out or bucket curl, the swing valve would open up the rest of the way. Like the release in pressure flopped it open or something. Wierd.

Anyways, I think the boss likes his machines to be "quirky", so he's usually the only one who can operate them. The leeboy travel valves are loose, so you have to push one faster than the other to make it travel straight. Almost none of the machines have any lever labels anymore. It's mildly amusing sometimes. Usually when he let's me on the machine and has that stunned look and walks away.

Ronsii likes this.