• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Digger Derrick Truck as Service Truck?

alskdjfhg

What I'm looking at is a 1990 Ford F-800 that was once a digger derrick truck for the city of Dallas. The sheet metal is a bit rough in places, and has a hydro leak on a line in the crane, but seems fairly solid. But before any money is spent, I figured I should ask the experts about the truck, specifically the crane.

The crane that's on it is a Telelect Captain 3900 digger derrick. It doesn't have the auger, but it's got the pincers on it. What I'm really concerned about is the winch line. The load chart on the machine says the cap of the crane is 15650lbs at a 3.2' radius. But instead of having a multi part cable block like you'd expect, it's got a single part line running about 1.5" dia rope.

So what I'd like to know is, are the capacities for the boom be rated as it was grabbing onto something directly? IE setting a telephone pole using the pincers. Or can I rig up a multi part block and be able to hoist what the load chart says? The load chart does say that all loads above 10k multi part lines are required.

1.5" manila has a breaking strength of 16650 lbs and a WLL of 1390lbs. 1.5" poly rope has a breaking strength of 42200 lbs and a WLL of 3520. Now I'm just estimating at the 1.5" dimensions, it's possible it's larger, but it's somewhere around that size.

Reason I'm looking at this truck is that I got a GREAT deal on a CHERRY of a 3200lb Autocrane, but I don't really have a truck set up to use it, and it's really small. I figure I can sell the Autocrane I've got, and buy this truck with a larger crane and service body. Also like this truck because it's still small enough run farm plates and has an auxiliary hydraulic port (not sure exactly what I'd use that for, but sounds handy) and can pull a tag trailer.

It would have many many uses around the farm, it's cheap and would be a step in the right direction towards eventually getting a CDL and semi truck. Only thing I'm not too excited about is that's it's got an automatic in it.

I'll be going back next weekend and doing a better function test than what I did this morning, but I'd like to know a bit more about these cranes and if using it as a service crane would be practical.

Thanks for any any and all info as usual.

Attachments

• 00J0J_2bM7R9mD4wT_600x450.jpg
    00J0J_2bM7R9mD4wT_600x450.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 432

td25c

I think it would make a dandy service / multi task truck for your needs .

Drop a gas drive welder & torch tanks on & load up the tool cabinets .

We have 1977 Ford F-600 digger derrick with Pitman Polecat rig . I really like it , use it for odd smaller lifting tasks & can get it into places the cranes wont fit . Also drill holes with it for pole buildings & such . Even came with a man bucket .

The remote hydro lines are for running attachments like pole puller or tamper . http://www.heavytruckforums.com/showthread.php?51-Fwd-Trucks&p=1204&viewfull=1#post1204

I would not worry to much over it's rated capacity at 3 or 4 foot . You will use it mostly for smaller lifts under 1,000 pounds .

Attachments

• 100_2906.JPG
    100_2906.JPG
    207.2 KB · Views: 357
  • 100_3337.jpg
    100_3337.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:

alskdjfhg

I think it would be a handy truck as well. The Miller Big 50 I've got would go on it, almost not enough truck for that big a welder......

Heres a picture of the load chart, not sure why the quality is so poor.

I wish this had the auger and manlift bucket. But can drill holes with the post hole digger, and may be able to make a manlift bucket to go on it.

Only thing I was really concerned about was the single par rope line, but the more I think about it, the less of an issue it seems.

uploadfromtaptalk1462203724922.jpg

Last edited:

lantraxco

If there's someplace on the boom end to connect the hook, or a properly sized shackle, a snatch block will double the line pull.

Knepptune

I doubt you'd run into needing multi part line much. Or ever. For the right price it could be a handy truck.

There's a grain handling company around here that has one of those with an altec boom. The only thing I don't like about it is that is all electronic controls. As electronics age they become problematic.

The only other downfall I could see on a service truck would be if you have to operate it from a seat. It's nice if you have a controller you have right where your working so you can control it without leaving your work area. Other then that I'd say it'd be a handy little truck.

td25c

We would have to put a 2 part block on the Pitman rig to get full capacity out of the winch . Have block & boom has dead end eye but we never need it as most jobs are reaching out with lighter loads .

When working alone or on something intricate drop a chain hoist between hook & load . It works .:)

JPV

X2 on the chain hoist for working alone or for sensitive picks. Looks like a dandy truck, wouldn't worry about the automatic if it shifts good and fluid looks and smells good. Those seem to work forever.

alskdjfhg

Sorry for the delay guys, but been busy with school related stuff. Went back to the truck today, and will be moving it to the farm tomorrow.

All the functions work, but when you boom out there is a healthy leak coming out of the base of the boom. Not sure exactly what the leak is, if it's the cylinder or the manifold that feeds the cylinder. But I'm afraid I'm going to have to be pulling the boom and pulling out the cylinder to find out and fix it.

We have 1977 Ford F-600 digger derrick with Pitman Polecat rig

Neat looking truck. I recently got a '68 F600, but mine is a grain truck.

Took it down the road for the first time today, got up to 40 mph in low range. Sounds slow I know, but I sure didn't want to go any faster in it....

Attachments

• 20160104_101250.jpg
    20160104_101250.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 159
Last edited: