• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Different coupler for Takeuchi 153

suladas

Had enough of the wain roy on my Takeuchi TB153FR and want to start looking for new coupler. I've tried to find the dimensions on it but I can't seem to? What other machines have the same pin measurements that I could search for a coupler? I'm not sure if i'm going to change all my attachments over or buy different ones, probably depends on which I change to, and what I can find. If I went with a wedge coupler, it would just be a matter of finding ears I can weld them up myself.

What would you guys think is going to be the easiest to change to? I'm more then happy going to a wedge coupler. I don't care about reversing buckets or what not i'm just sick of the constant play in attachments that is never ending and my coupler has taken a beating and been welded up so many times.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I believe I have those exact dimensions from Taki on an email somewhere, I will try and find it if your interested. I have a Werk Brau manual pin grabber on mine. You can look it up, This is my third one on a 153. I like it, it can be adjusted to maintain tension and they will also rebuild them when needed. My only complaint is that as often as I change buckets, I wish I had gone with a hyd. coupler. The next will be.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
153fr.jpg 153fr.jpg

It was easier than I thought

The measurements are even in Canadian.

Last edited:

NepeanGC

Occupation
#dirtherder
I know steelwrist, rototilt, and Kinshofer all make Symmetrical standard couplers. Some manual or hydraulic. They also sell the ears pretty cheap to retrofit existing tools/buckets. Symmetrical standard is functionally about the same as a pin grabber coupler.

Tags

If you went with a pin grabber you could also have some ears fabbed up with pins to weld to your existing Wain Roy style buckets. I have a pin grabber on a Tak TB260 and a manual wedge on a Kobelco 115, I won't be without a hydraulic pin grabber from here on out. If I didn't have so many wedge style buckets for my 115 I would switch it to a pin grabber in a second.

suladas

I'm not partial to any type, I think it will come down more to what I can convert to for the cheapest and easiest. I have a wedge coupler on my 210 and i'm fine with it I don't switch buckets a whole lot, in the summer I can go months without swapping buckets. Because it's winter i've been switching the ripper to bracket so maybe 4 swaps a day on average and considering what I deal with now, anything is easier and faster. Being a 2007 with 4500 hours I don't want to drop a ton of money on it. I was also looking to do it now because I was considering getting a breaker for it. But I might be looking at new anyway, even searching all of canada there is nothing for couplers or even attachments for sale in the size.

Canadian measurements? I don't know I cringe every time I see mm's I hate metric.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I thought the "Canadian measurements" was funny. I am kinda sick like that. I am sure the internet can convert it for you.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
You're in Alberta right @suladas? Seems like Weldco-Beales wedge type are by far the most popular across the board around here. Pin grabber seems to be 2nd most popular style. Hardly ever see CWS or Wainroy much.

StumpyWally

Liv'in the Dream ---------------> in Ballston, NY
Occupation
PE Civil Eng'r, Computer Sys. Mgr., Retired
For bucket mounting dimensions, try my thread here:
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/pin-on-bucket-mounting-specs.28775/page-5

Also, I have a Klac manual coupler (from Werk Brau) & several buckets (also from Werk Brau). The Klac has a very close mounting, so the tip radius/breakout force is not affected. It also only requires manual operation to un-couple. Re-coupling is done without leaving the cab. The only downside is that you can't "reverse" the bucket to dig like a shovel.

suladas

You're in Alberta right @suladas? Seems like Weldco-Beales wedge type are by far the most popular across the board around here. Pin grabber seems to be 2nd most popular style. Hardly ever see CWS or Wainroy much.

Yep Alberta, that's what i've noticed too the wbm wedge is the most common here, and the odd wain roy. But I can't find any used couplers or buckets for sale, i'm figured there would be some. I also like retaining the most digging force as I can, I think the wedge coupler would actually gain me some?

For bucket mounting dimensions, try my thread here:
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/pin-on-bucket-mounting-specs.28775/page-5

Also, I have a Klac manual coupler (from Werk Brau) & several buckets (also from Werk Brau). The Klac has a very close mounting, so the tip radius/breakout force is not affected. It also only requires manual operation to un-couple. Re-coupling is done without leaving the cab. The only downside is that you can't "reverse" the bucket to dig like a shovel.

Thanks that list is super helpful. I'm searching so at least if I find a used one I can see if it will fit my machine easily.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I don't know where you would find a used coupler but you can get blank ears to weld onto your existing buckets and attachments.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
If it matches mechanically it would probably bolt up. Sometimes though a coupler messes with the bucket articulation if its not made for the machine. Can you contact the company and get their suggestion for a 153? Can you get buckets made for that coupler?

suladas

If it matches mechanically it would probably bolt up. Sometimes though a coupler messes with the bucket articulation if its not made for the machine. Can you contact the company and get their suggestion for a 153? Can you get buckets made for that coupler?

If it is a EFI 50 series coupler then I know I can get buckets or ears made for my buckets not a problem. I would need to look into that, or I guess depending on the angle of the ears you could play with that? I looked up EFI's website and it's made for the TB240, TB250, TB260 which I believe is the same as the 153? I can't find anything on that part number, hopefully they add more pictures or I would have to go to RB and actually measure it to be sure.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I would agree that if it fits a 260 it would likely work, but I don't know that. I would also think that your articulation should also be good, but always better call EFI before you buy a coupler that wont work. I would imagine the coupler will go cheap. RB never posts much info on that type of stuff, so unless you know exactly what it is for, few people tend to show much interest in it.

suladas

I would agree that if it fits a 260 it would likely work, but I don't know that. I would also think that your articulation should also be good, but always better call EFI before you buy a coupler that wont work. I would imagine the coupler will go cheap. RB never posts much info on that type of stuff, so unless you know exactly what it is for, few people tend to show much interest in it.

Yea I definitely will check with them, I think it's a good choice because a quick kijji search and I see a few buckets, plate compactor, etc with that lugging already. RB is so up and down on little items I find. But a lot of the time they go for a lot more then the other auctions places here. But I totally agree, it's a item you gotta go measure yourself or you have no idea if it will work, lucky to be so close it's not that big of a deal. When I bought my hoe, I had to pay like $1000 for the 36" clean out bucket because so few around, then a few years ago I seen almost identical one get like $200, then last year I looked at one and it got like $1000 again. Which makes me wonder if buying different buckets might be a better idea if I could get some decent coin for mine.

suladas

Well I got a price from EFI, $1300 for coupler, $460 per set of lugs, $2000 for digging/clean out, $1500 for ripper. 20% off if I buy all or even just coupler, ripper, and 2 sets of lugs. I don't want to drop over $5k on this it's just too much money for the machine.

I am wondering is the steel anything special? I can buy 4'x4' 3/8" plate for $260 could I not just cut them with a plasma myself? I don't know if the ears are actually 3/8" I was just guessing, but even 1/2" wouldn't be much more. The only thing they state on website about the steel is "100% High Tensile Steel construction".

suladas

Finally got the coupler on and buckets converted, should have did it way sooner. No longer avoid switching buckets because it's such a pain in the a$$. No more bucket clanking around. The coupler went on easy, just had to cut about 1" off the thumb for the extra width and drill a hole in the main pin for the keeper bolt, although I have no idea why it's not a traditional nut and bolt instead of a hex cap screw. Cutting off the wain roy stuff and filling the holes was easy, but it sure took a long time with my cheap plasma to cut the plates, tack them in nice and square and get them welded solid. It cost me $550 for a 4'x4' of 5/8" steel, and I cut 4 sets and still have a fair amount left could do 2 more sets, but they wanted $540 per set of ears, that didn't make sense? I didn't want to cut them myself but it didn't make sense to pay that much. All in all cost me probably 4 days of my time, and about $2200 but so worth it. The product was good, but wasn't overly impressed with EFI, order was suppose to take 6 weeks but it was a week late getting placed because they didn't get back to me, after 6 weeks I asked the status and about shipping to me told it would be ready in a few days, so I said just invoice me for shipping and get it out as soon as it's ready, 2 more weeks pass and nothing so I asked if it shipped, nope but I was driving close by so I just picked it up. I am pretty sure if I didn't pick it up it would still be sitting there, just kind of frustrating 6 weeks turned into 10. But funny how my luck works, there is a few of the exact couplers at Ritchie's selling this week, actually a ton of new EFI stuff......