• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

difference between belly dumps clam dump locations length wise vs cross frame locatio

lake side bob

Occupation
owner operator
Been thinking of purchasing a belly dump trailer with the clam dump cross wise (or two clamps cross wise) between the frame vs the traditional clam dump located length wise.
Any one have any idea of the benefits of the cross dump location of the clam dump.
It appears it would spread evenly like a dump box vs the long winrow pile of a traditional belly dump.
I have never seen one working wondering if any one has experience GOOD and BAD with them.

Alberta

Occupation
maintenance supervisor
That's what we use at our municipality and it works really well when you have to spread the material. The clamps being smaller also have less of a tendency to bow.

sandnsnow

Occupation
adult babysitter
There was a long discussion on this somewhere on here. But it really depends on what you are doing. Cross gate dumps are getting hard to come by these days. My company uses cross gates to build roads in the mountains where there are long steep hauls and hard to get to areas. These trailers are short, around 24' long. Hold about 18 yds (not road legal). 15/16 yards legal. They are less prone to get high centered as the back tires roll up on the spread gravel. Its faster for us because we can dump and turn around while not having to wait for the blade to push it out. We use windrow trailers on our highway jobs,stockpiling ect. They are longer 48' three fixed and one lift axle. Haul about 24/26 yards (legal). Very few of my drivers ever hang one up but i would say that they are prone to getting hung up if your laying a thick base. Obviously harder to turn around. More cost tires, fuel ect. :beatsme