• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Diesel oil for older engines

Welder Dave

Probably been asked a zillion times but what's a good 15W-40 oil to use in older engines up to 1994. I need to change oil in my 65 Perkins, 86 Cat and 94 Kubota. Rotella T triple protection seems to be everywhere. Best price is $63 for 18.9L at Walmart. Chevron Delo 400 SDE is on sale for $70 for 18.9L. I've read some people don't like the Rotella T and the Delo is better but I've also read the opposite. Mobil Delvac 1300 is another one I might be able to find locally or would the Walmart Supertech oil be worth considering?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I got to the point where I go by price and the SAE and API specs on the cans. Unless you buy some cheap no name brand, it's all more than adequate when changed per machine manufacturer's specs.

56wrench

I've had no problems with rotella so far. its readily available and they still make monograde for older equipment the last time I checked although the monograde may not be in stock and would have to be ordered

Welder Dave

I use 15W-40. The engines are older, about 4000hrs. on the Perkins and Kubota and 1500 on the rebuilt Cat. Still want them to last so want a decent oil.

Last edited:

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Believe it or not. Walmart's supertech line has been reviewed many times . Often times the results leave the competition wanting. I am always surprised when I read that cuz I have used either delo or rotella my whole life in everything even my mowers.
I know supertech is rebranded stuff of unknown origin, but it's good stuff.

On paper.