• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dexter axles worth the extra money???

Wellcraft

Hi everyone, I ordered a 77x12 tandem utility trailer with 3500# axles with some extra features like led lights, side mesh, side steps, adjustable height coupler, and heavy duty diamond steel fenders. I keep my trailers for ever, I'm ordering this one because my old 6x10 trailer was totaled and the insurance paid for it so this time I'm building one as hd as possible so it last a long time.

Not going bigger because I have never had any need for something bigger but I wanted more payload capacity so that is why I'm going tandem. I actually wanted even more for those rare occasions but the only way would be by building one with 6" frame instead of 5" which is the way the build it but he said it would cost a lot more and I can't go more. The current payload would be around 5500#.

I have the option to upgrade the axles to dexter brand with never adjust brakes for an extra $500 and I'm willing to pay the difference but I'm wondering if is worth the extra cost?

The current brand they use is sure trac or something like that from south carolina.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

JR.

heymccall

The Dexter torflex on my 2012 6 ton tilt deck rotted so bad where the torsion insert is that I had to throw them away.
Ordering replacement axles, it was alluded that the OEM switched from Dexter to Lippert and their warranty claims nearly disappeared.

I haven't had the Lipperts long enough to report on long term durability.

As for the brakes, I've been putting the Nevr-Adjust on everything. Biggest brake complaint is the damned lining falls of the shoes.

heymccall

Well, technically, the lining doesn't just "fall off" the shoes. The shoes rust in a manner where the glued on lining no longer sticks.
And, it's not just a dexter thing. Any of my 12x2 electric do the same thing.

And, looking back, when I just overhauled my 20 t tag trailer, the OEM conveyed the same...they no longer primarily use dexter axles, and, since switching, their warranty claims have diminished also.

Well, what kind of warranty claims can there be on a simple axle? Turns out that the bigger axles, wet bath, are the real issue. Any seal issue with the hub, and warranty has to put new shoes on, and, obviously, the shop expense of cleaning everything.

To summarize, Dexter ain't what they used to be. So, is it worth the "upgrade"?
For the Nevr-adjust, yes. Just because it's Dexter, no.

Wellcraft

Thanks guys, in all honesty I'm considering them for the never adjust brakes but I was also glad it was dexter brand because I always heard the are great axles although I never had any experience with them as I never owned that brand (I think).

I have always struggled when adjusting brakes shoes on my air cooled bug and other vehicles so I was happy to learn that there is that option but at a higher cost of $500 (everything dexter brand) which is why I'm asking.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
There aren't any axles easier to find parts for than Dexter. Before I knew the difference I bought an equipment trailer back in 2000 with a different brand axle. When it came time to replace the brakes it took 6 months to find them. I won't buy any other brand since.