• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dewalt 20v brushless 1/2" impact, opinions?

SARuger

I'm on my second one in a week. The first one not only would spit the battery off trying to bust forklift lugs but it would only work for 5sec blasts. I bought the 2 year extended warranty from Lowes with it and they exchanged it no questions asked. The new one seems to be working okay but I havent pushed it hard yet. Its advertised at 700ftlbs tightening torque, 1200ftlbs breaking. Time will tell.

Anyone else tried one?

I have my air tools to get the heavy stuff done, a AirCat 1150 and a AirCat 1600 3/4 drive but man its handy to not have to fire up the compressor and drag hose out of the truck for small jobs!

Last edited:

JPV

I have the Mac version, I think it is advertised as 1400 ft. Lbs breaking, has 3 settings for tightening. I am not sure who makes it but uses dewalt batteries. I love it, took a lug nut off a steer tire on a dump truck that the tire guy had just put on with his 1" gun just to see if it would. Rattled on it for probably 20 seconds steady and it never hickuped. Never had a problem with mine, long battery life and plenty of power.

SARuger

I have the Mac version, I think it is advertised as 1400 ft. Lbs breaking, has 3 settings for tightening. I am not sure who makes it but uses dewalt batteries. I love it, took a lug nut off a steer tire on a dump truck that the tire guy had just put on with his 1" gun just to see if it would. Rattled on it for probably 20 seconds steady and it never hickuped. Never had a problem with mine, long battery life and plenty of power.
Good to know. I have tools for the heavy stuff but for the forklifts i work on, i hope this gets the job done without fireing up the compressor. Im running the inverter alot more though.

JPV

I can't believe all the stuff that is cordless and how good it all works. Batteries are expensive but seem to last a long time. I will always keep good air tools handy also but like not firing up the compressor for every little thing.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
I have one, not seen much use. Has worked flawlessly so far.
Really like the 100 ftlb setting for lugnuts, to cool.
Nice to know I have the same power as an air gun with no compressor.

20171227_225755.jpg

Ed

SARuger

I have one, not seen much use. Has worked flawlessly so far.
Really like the 100 ftlb setting for lugnuts, to cool.
Nice to know I have the same power as an air gun with no compressor.

View attachment 178244

Ed
Thats the same one I have. Its advertised at 1200ftlbs of breaking torque and up to 700ftlbs tightening torque. If it can make 3/4 of that either way, I will be happy with it. Time will tell. The extended warranty I bought at Lowes allows me to return it no questions asked for up to 3 years.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I've got the cheap $129 1/2" Dewalt. It's not brushless or anything fancy. That poor thing has been abused. It won't bust lugnuts loose but I bet it's dropped a 1,000 belly pans etc. If it smoked the brushes today I'd probably just buy another like it. I've got that and a snap on 3/8" impact that so far I'm very happy with. It's not a monster it's more for running stuff up etc and it sure saves time. I agree cordless tools have come a long way! I think it's the lithium ion batteries more than anything.