• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deutz dumper..... diesel in the engine

Peter Webster

Are you 100% sure the pin is engaged in the rack.
pump 4? Well i cant be 100% sure, but I have lined it up pretty carefully and there is fuel spurting. The other pumps arent pumping like 4 is, so i assume 4 is engaged.

The solenoid is out and was always out, as it was the first thing i thought of.
The control rack moves freely to the left then springs back when i push on it thru the solenoid hole.

I will try with the injectors out again and see if the pumps work any better. I am also waiting for the new fuel pump from germany.

Any tips for ensuring the pin is engaged?

Once again thanks to you both for your help

rafacz

I must admit I am confused now. There seems to be 2 types of rotation possible for the pin .
As shown in the first video below.
The pin rotates a little stiffly to start, and then it suddenly rotates much more freely
Then it can be rotated with the spring quite freely- 2nd video.
Finally it rotates quite stiffly, if i hold the pin and rotate the bottom of the spring- 3rd video.
The 4 pumps are identical
video 1
video 2
video 3

I have the same question and no one seemed to address this. We had a fuel injection pump go out on a F4L 1011F engine. We have another engine that threw a rod, so we used an injection pump from that motor on the same cylinder without swapping shims (so we didn't get a new fuel injection pump with a locking wire already installed). We no longer have a dead cylinder with the swapped pump, but it wasn't running smoothly. We bought the fuel control rod/rack locking pin. There seems like two holes in the rack that are close, but the pin would only fit when the rack was pulled against the spring (while the fuel cutoff set to off).

We have a rod (the German manual with English translation calls it a "locking wire") down the injection pump hole after removing the "blanking pin". We didn't buy this, we just had a metal rod that fits the hole perfectly. It seems like we can put that rod on either side of the injection pump's control lever/rod, but even then, it doesn't really lock completely (there's a little play). Is that "locking wire" supposed to be on one the side of a control rod? There's no hole or other way to lock it that I see (that pin doesn't seem hollow). We could only fit the injection pump control lever/rod on the rack with injection pump "timing wire" on one side of the control rod. When we did that, it ran at full rev, without the white smoke we were getting, but we had to choke it to stop it. When doing it this way, it seemed like the fuel injection pump was rotated as far counter-clockwise as that oblong bolt hole would allow. The fuel injection pump that we didn't touch seemed to be almost fully clockwise. We redid all the pumps with the "locking wire" on the other side of the injection pump control rod without the rack locking pin and tried inserting them with the rack at its resting spot. We can shutoff the engine, now, but it seems like the pumps aren't in sync and it's not running smooth, again. It seems obvious that they need to be aligned more precisely.

Long story short, can someone describe how to "Before fitting injection pump, make sure that locking wire is engaged in control lever" as it says on page 320/321 of this document? From the diagram they show, it kind of seems like the wire is straight over the control lever, and not on one side of it.

Deutz 1011F manual in German, French, and English with steps to fully overhaul the engine ... but without the finest details
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sDEdkpwHxLebbDxnrioitolrpMYC90eF/view

upload_2021-4-6_10-28-32.png

rafacz

I found a thread from a few years ago that has shown me at least one thing we did wrong:

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/deutz-f3-l1011-rebuild.71112/

The original engine's injection pump is a Bosch with a gold plate. That color doesn't match funwithfuel's chart for Deutz injection pumps, but since it's not a turbo engine, I'm guessing it's naturally aspirated without white smoke kit (which is black for Deutz pump)? The injection pump we pulled from another engine has a blue plate, so that means it's for a non-turbo with smoke kit. So mixing these pumps seems like a no-no. I noticed a slightly different smoke color on our cylinder with the different pump, and now I have a good guess why.

Also, funwithfuel posted how to figure out the X or required installation depth from a name plate, but it was for Deutz name plates. Is it possible that the gold plate has an X = 8125 and the blue plate is 9570? If we order another pump, I want to know what these numbers mean. The guys on ebay selling these don't have more info than "for a 1011 deutz".

image0 (1).jpeg image1 (1).jpeg