• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deutz crankshaft end play

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
Anyone happen to know the crankshaft end play for a 35 hp Deutz (vintage around 1985).
Engine is two cylinder air cooled model number F2L511. Powers a 100cfm IR tow behind air compressor.

Bought it a couple years ago with a bad engine oil leak and recently went to replace the seal at the flywheel: pulled the cover and found thrust bearing wiped. Appears previous mechanic deleted the gaskets to use his fave make-a-gasket goo, but those offed gasket(s) were the shims for the bearing clearance.

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
Thanks to all for giving this some thought, I checked with the dealer and they dont have this particular manual, so I will be buying one ... figure the information will be needed. Hopefully wont be written in language other than english.

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
The local shop called and the manual is available. Since the ring for the thrust was damaged, having the manual will help with the repair.

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
manual is principally in German with a couple other languages including English....a preview shows having to pull it all apart to get to the 'other' thrust washer bearing at the other end of the crankshaft....kind of reminds me of a VW when I see the cylinders, but the crankshaft removal coming out the end of the block instead of the bottom is a new one to us.

There are four
F1L511
F1L511W
F2L511
F2l511W

The W appears to indicate two stage combustion, without the W is direct injection

Looks like I will need a piston ring compressor and an injector puller (looks like a slide hammer).

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
kind of reminds me of a VW when I see the cylinders, but the crankshaft removal coming out the end of the block instead of the bottom is a new one to us.

We had a VM Diesel, looks like your Deutz, but made by an Italian company that has been owned by several other companies over the years. This was probably close to 30 years ago. Same deal the mains were in big split collars that were assembled to the crank then the whole thing was inserted from the back end of the block. Actually never had a chance to reassemble it after taking it apart. When we did up a list of parts needed and started checking with the dealer, who just happened to be the Cat dealer in town, parts guy said why not just buy a new engine as they had a complete one sitting on shelf and it was just a few hundred more than parts alone to fix ours! The couple Deutz engines I have been around have been very good engines, just never had much reason to work on them.

Good luck with yours,