• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Detroit Diesel Questions

big builder

Hi Everyone,

I figured here was a good as place as any to get some help. I want to buy a 4-71 turbo locally . The owner says it will run as is. What can I do onsite to check the overall health of this engine? Just don't want to get too much of a lemon if I can help it.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
Make sure the application, it was used in, is the same as its going to be used. This basically means, making sure you have the correct governor. If you can start it, let it warm up and check the blow by. A good engine will start quick, Is there oil residue, not uncommon, but large amounts mean problems. I have been dealing with Detroits for almost 30 years. They are good engines, but are outdated now. Even though I like the engine, it is a very noisy engine and working in a quite area (sub divisions) it will get you calls from the neighbors.
Make sure, it doesnt have any excessive smoking. a good Detroit, will not smoke, but very little.
If you are buying this, to replace another 4-71, make sure it turns correctly (same as the old one)These older engines, had many configurations and may or may not work, in place of your old 4-71. Is the pulley system the same. If you can get to the turbo, check the wear in the blades, can you move them, a little is OK most of the time, but if you turn it and it hits the sides, thats not good.
Is the exhaust on the same side? Is the starter on the same side? Is the blower on the same side? Does it have the same size bell housing? All this could make a difference
Good luck and let us know what you are going to use it for

big builder

Willis,

Thanks very much for all your advice.

I will try and give you what I know now. The application is definately not the same. The engine in question was in a water pump I was told. I wish to install it in one of our scows for marine propulsion. I need to confirm if a marine transmission will bolt to it or not. The engine itself should be quite open for inspection and the owner says it will fire right up.

I know that marine transmission come in either rotation so that should be ok.

I am concerned about such things as governors and throttles. Since it came from an application that used a fairly constant speed and I would need variable speed. Will this be an issue?

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
I have had a bunch of experience, in marine stuff and I would guess, that the 4-71 you are looking at, has the wrong governor. The bellhousing, could work, but you will need to get a adapter to adapt to the transmission, you will need a clutch plate to match the tranny, probrably need to have the flywheel machined. Then you have a hot manifold and this maybe a issue about cooling. I know a guy that deal with marine stuff, if you can get a complete setup, it will be a bunch cheaper. I will send you a PM with his number
I guess I cant send you a PM

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Good advice Willis Bushogin. That pretty much describes a Detroit. If it fires right off, very little smoke (especially when warmed up), and don't slobber gals of oil from the airbox tubes, it's probably a good engine. And good advice to hook up with someone with marine experience. As for the governor, he said it was on a water pump. I assume that would be like a skid type pump? I would think for that type of pump application it would have a variable speed governor. Otherwise, the motor would stall or rev depending on whether the pump is drawing water or not. Just my guess. :)

big builder

Yes, I think on a skip type water pump.

Would this governor be suitable for a marine application?

Also with the wet exhaust, I assume this is necessary due to the fact it is in the hold? I mean the barge is all steel so the heat in there shouldn't be a problem and it's easy to get air in and out.

Hey Willis how come you can't Pm me?

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
oil

The 2 stroke Detroits like your looking at do. Chevron Delo 100 / API CF2 is the preferred oil to use.

Here's a link for you to check out.

http://www.tejascoach.com/ddcoil.html

I always run Ursa 40, for 30 years in my Detroits. Im not saying, that this was the correct oil, but it seems like everyone used it, this was 15 years ago. I always seemed to get good service out of the engines. Delo 100 is a very good oil also, its a little pricey, compared to Texaco Ursa

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I always run Ursa 40, for 30 years in my Detroits. Im not saying, that this was the correct oil, but it seems like everyone used it, this was 15 years ago. I always seemed to get good service out of the engines. Delo 100 is a very good oil also, its a little pricey, compared to Texaco Ursa

LoL, I guess I should have said that a little different. Delo 100 is what the Detroit Diesel Corp research determined was the preferred oil for their engine. It had a lower ash rate than other oils, lower than even Rotella. I haven't seen any research data on Ursa, but I don't think we need to. If you had been using it with good results for 30 years...I think the research is right there. :D

cletrac

Occupation
mechanic
I would take off the air box cover and look at the rings, see if it has any dirt or carbon on the linners. How clean is the oil?

surfer-joe

Definitely use a straight weight oil such as a 40 or 50 wt. NO multi-viscosities! Ursa is a very good oil, but is now made and marketed by Chevron here in the states, don't have any idea if it is still made to the same specs and high quality standards.

Others here are correct, Detroit built so many different configurations of this model that, considering the age, it's highly doubtful you will find a good used engine with nearly the same amount of accessories and different adapters and mounts that you need.

Turbo 471's are a bit of a rare breed, never saw very many in the field.

Good Luck!

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
detroits

Hi Everyone,

I figured here was a good as place as any to get some help. I want to buy a 4-71 turbo locally . The owner says it will run as is. What can I do onsite to check the overall health of this engine? Just don't want to get too much of a lemon if I can help it.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
I think I would stay away from this engine. I dont think this engine would serve you very good in a scow/marine engine application. You would have a bunch of money in this, by the time you can put it in a scow

Last edited: