• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Detroit 92 series question

Vetech63

Ok guys, a new issue for me. After going through Ken's info on setting this throttle delay up, it is requiring a few tools I do not have. I will be trying to locate those this morning but just in case it proves to be impossible I am wondering what ramifications I could have by removing the throttle delay all together? I have no idea if the cam timing is different or not on this engine. It is my understanding that the throttle delay cylinder helps slow the quick wind up of the engine for the on highway apps, turbo wind-up.....etc. Is it even necessary in this industrial machine?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I don't know why you need it other than for regulatory people. It just prevents smoke on sudden acceleration. Does your machine have an electrically controlled throttle that goes from low idle to high idle? The tool that I used to have looked like a small piece of gutter of a specified length. Detroit dealers should still carry it. I sold my Detroit tools about a year ago but I got them originally from a tool truck. The kit was put together by Kent Moore.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
What is controlling the RPM now? In a highway engine I would normally expect to see a min-max governor which if put on a piece of machinery would be no fun to operate. Since the driver's foot controls the rack directly except for max RPM and idle speed.

Just thinking out loud here, unless the machine is always operated by running the engine right to max RPM and just plowing into the work.

So is there some other governor provided by the machine that is operating the Detroit throttle linkage, or did somebody change parts of the engine governor to a variable speed configuration, or what?

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
If you disconnect the dash pot, it will allow it to go to full fuel without delay. What that means is you’ll get a nice storm cloud until the turbo has a chance to catch up with the air. The throttle response will be quick and the Dodge Cummins boys will be impressed.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
The tool that I used to have looked like a small piece of gutter of a specified length. Detroit dealers should still carry it. /QUOTE]

If that is the tool you need, the one in fig.5 on page 2 that I posted then what I did was make my own. Got a piece of steel tubing that when split down the middle would just slip over the rack on an injector. 1/4 or maybe 5/16 in steel tubing. Then cut close to the right length then files it to finished size. Then brazed a piece of welding rod to it to make a handle. Probably still have it out in tool box!

My application did not have the need for the pin tool shown in fig. 4 but I'm betting one could find a drill bit or some other kind of rod that would be close enough. Thinking close is good enough unless the EPA is going to come out and run a test on it for smoke.

I see that there are several different sizes of that split tubing type tool, attaching the page that shows which one goes to which engine based on injector used:
Detroit001.jpg

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I forgot to add my story, back in the 90s we ran an early 80s fire truck for a time that had exactly this, a 6v92 with the delay apparently disconnected.

When you would thwack the throttle open on that thing it was awe inspiring to the point of being a menace to traffic.

It did not really improve the acceleration all that much, though. Too much fuel with no air (turbo spoolup) to burn it just makes a lot of filthy smoke with nothing to show for it. In some cases it seems counterproductive to me but I don't have data to back it up.

kshansen

Occupation
I see I had an error in my post above #27, but caught it too late to edit. If you click on it you can see the chart showing which tool is needed depending on the application and injectors installed.

Vetech63

Looks like I'm going to eliminate the throttle delay. I don't know if the spring assisted yield link will need to be replaced or not. The engine is equipped with the swvs governor. The machine engine is usually set to high rpm and run at that speed full time driving a big hydrostatic pump.

kshansen

Occupation
Looks like I'm going to eliminate the throttle delay. I don't know if the spring assisted yield link will need to be replaced or not. The engine is equipped with the swvs governor. The machine engine is usually set to high rpm and run at that speed full time driving a big hydrostatic pump.
Well might work okay but I'd hang on to any parts removed just on the chance it smokes too much and someone freaks out!

I'm thinking it all depends on constant a load is on the engine. If load fluctuated a lot every time the governor call for more fuel it could blow serious smoke. Just cause the rpms of the crank might be steady the turbo speeds are controlled by the load on the engine and the percentage of fuel output the injectors are called on to supply.

Maybe someone else can opinion on this?

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
An easy way to disable the throttle delay without change out the rocker shaft stand is to remove the ball and spring from the check valve. Its been years, but I think it takes a 7/16 or 3/8 in wrench to loosen the brass fitting to get to the spring and ball. That create a dump for the oil and the plunger is along for a free ride. No resistance=no delay.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
If you remove the throttle delay, don't worry about the yield link. It will run just fine.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I haven't seen if the machine has an electric throttle control or not but if so you would only get the smoke when you go from low idle to suddenly going to high idle. Probably puff some to start with but be ok when you are running the machine pulling a hydraulic pump. Those kinds of loads are similar to a generator set, set wide open and the load will adjust the engine speed.

Vetech63

Now I just remembered I needed to update this. The engine is built and running. I eliminated the throttle delay with no issues. Now I have to wait 3 weeks for the rotor motor mechanical seal and the face plate to be made and shipped from England before I can get the machine outside and work it a bit. More to come...….