• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Detroit 92 series question

Vetech63

I recently tore down a 6V92T and when I started to order the parts I discovered that this engine does not have the right fuel injectors for its serial number. No big deal I thought...….until now since I have been unable to locate my 92 service manual. The engine had 9A90's in it, but it calls for 9B90's . What I am looking for is the old printed injector chart that gave all the types of injectors, and the timing heights for each build. Does anyone have that by chance?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I have a 92 service manual sitting here but it might be too old as it only shows engine tune up spec's up to 1980.
But on the outside chance it will help here is the 1980 info:

92 Detroit001.jpg

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I recently tore down a 6V92T and when I started to order the parts I discovered that this engine does not have the right fuel injectors for its serial number. No big deal I thought...….until now since I have been unable to locate my 92 service manual. The engine had 9A90's in it, but it calls for 9B90's . What I am looking for is the old printed injector chart that gave all the types of injectors, and the timing heights for each build. Does anyone have that by chance?

I’ll look when I get home. Idk how new my 92 series books are. One of my little cheater books is fairly new so maybe it’ll have what you need.

Vetech63

Great job Ken! I believe this is an 87 model engine so if one of you other guys could confirm this that would be fantastic. I will say out of all the 6V92t's I have done over the years in Bomag recyclers, this one is different. Base engine is the same except this engine has a throttle delay set-up and the oddest thermostat housing make-up. If I didn't know any better it almost looks like a marine engine build in some ways. I cant tell at this time whether this is even the original engine, although the paint matches the machine in color .

td25c

My 1987 Detroit 92 series manual don't show either 9A90 or 9B90 used for that year .

I had to turn back to the 1984 chart to see both used in the 92's .

9A90's were used in 8V-92 TA/TTA automotive engines . Timing 1.470

9B90's in 6V-92 TA/TTA automotive engines .Timing 1.475

If I remember correct your Detroit project is in a truck ?

Vetech63

My 1987 Detroit 92 series manual don't show either 9A90 or 9B90 used for that year .

I had to turn back to the 1984 chart to see both used in the 92's .

9A90's were used in 8V-92 TA/TTA automotive engines . Timing 1.470

9B90's in 6V-92 TA/TTA automotive engines .Timing 1.475

If I remember correct your Detroit project is in a truck ?
No, this is in a Bomag recycler which is why it’s a strange set up.

Vetech63

I’m still not sure on this. What should I time 9b90’s to? The 9a90’s are double the price :eek:

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
No, this is in a Bomag recycler which is why it’s a strange set up.
All the charts so far are for automotive engines, yours is an industrial engine. I'll see if I have a manual that covers industrial engines. Otherwise, 1.480" is safer than 1.470" to start with. It may smoke a bit more cold, but wont burn piston rings if the cams are advanced.

Vetech63

Picking up my overhaul kit today and will build the piston kits for installation tomorrow. Machine shop still doesn't have the heads ready yet o_O

Vetech63

Can any of you guys get me instructions on the throttle cylinder adjust procedures? I am in dire need.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Can any of you guys get me instructions on the throttle cylinder adjust procedures? I am in dire need.
Would this be what Detroit calls the throttle Delay Mechanism to cut back on the smoke while turbo gets up to speed?

I'll scan in the three pages on that just in case.

Attachments

• detroit throttle delay001.jpg
    detroit throttle delay001.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 5
  • detroit throttle delay002.jpg
    detroit throttle delay002.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 6
  • detroit throttle delay003.jpg
    detroit throttle delay003.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 5

Vetech63

Would this be what Detroit calls the throttle Delay Mechanism to cut back on the smoke while turbo gets up to speed?

I'll scan in the three pages on that just in case.
Thank You Ken! That is exactly what I need.
fwiw detroit advertised a 565 hp marine 6v92 in the middle 80s .you may have stumbled on to one of those in an ind. app
Could very well be so. I have done numerous of these in industrial applications, but this is either a marine or coach/on-highway application. I have NEVER seen this type in an industrial application ever which is why I have no experience with the throttle delay. I should have this engine finished this week and will take a pic of it when I finish. For those of you with any Detroit access, the serial # on this engine is 06VF-70741