• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Detroit 53 series

RBMcCloskey

Occupation
Heavy Construction Contractor
Dynahoe Backhoe had GM Diesels, 140 thru 190 have 3-53, 190-4 & 490 have 4-53 and 200-4 have 4-71. The 290 and 490K have John Deere engines.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I worked for years at a plant that had a Trojan 4000 with an 8/53 in it.Talk about sound!!I don't have to tell you that you could hear the old girl for miles.Of course it was configured to run the hydraulic pump at the design RPM which required that that Detroit be cranked wide open to achieve that RPM which was music to a gearhead like me,even if I wasn't running it you could hear it from a long way off.I think it turned 2800.Ron G

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
2-53 that powers a hyd. pump on our drill fills... previously powered our irrigation pump.

DSCF0774.jpg

Used every year about this time... :cool:

OCR

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
Detroit 16-184 and 16-338 four vertical banks of four cylinder two strokes. No blowers installed in the pic.

GM%20Detroit%20Diesel.JPG

WWII USN engines. There was a good history page about Detroit Diesel at dieselduck.info, this is a picture, but the link is broken now. Also U-12 71inch engines, two 6-71 cranks side-by-side geared together. And horizontal 6-71s.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Detroit 16-184 and 16-338 four vertical banks of four cylinder two strokes. No blowers installed in the pic.

GM%20Detroit%20Diesel.JPG

WWII USN engines. There was a good history page about Detroit Diesel at dieselduck.info, this is a picture, but the link is broken now. Also U-12 71inch engines, two 6-71 cranks side-by-side geared together. And horizontal 6-71s.

What a cool looking engine. I have owned a horizontal 6-71 and the U12-71s were quite common on pumps in offshore applications but the vertical Detroit shown is completely new to me. When you say 184 and 338, what do them numbers stand for? Certainly its not cubic inches per cylinder as in 53, 71, 92, and 110 is it. If so holy sh*t.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
English Electric had a slightly different take on making a compact engine for MTB propulsion unit but they went at it in a different way to EMD and succeeded in designing one with the crankshaft horizontal. Anyone ever seen one of these..? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3bj47TAYiU

Still active on the main line today hauling rail enthusiasts' specials - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGf94cMOu9s

Nige, Napier was something! The Saber, the Nomad and the Deltic. (Dagger and Rapier too). And British Internal Combustion Engine Research Association variable displacement diesel engines.

Fairbanks Morse built some opposed piston two stroke v-type engines, but the upper and lower pistons were not the same diameter; the upper were about one half the diameter of the lower pistons. The engine only had two crank shafts. The upper one, in the V, moved the upper pistons by rocker arms on top of the engine, to move the pistons on each bank of the 'V'. They were stationary engines, I guess; "1000/1250 horse power per cylinder @ 400/450 rpm"!

PS: http://modelenginenews.org/gallery/croft/eagle/index.html

Last edited:

Brandt

The submarine I was on had a Fairbanks - Morse opposed piston engine (as a back up to the reactor). I think it was an 8 cyl / 16 piston in line. I never saw it apart, I worked 2 levels up in the Navigation center. I do remember that pre- lubing it was a big deal. If I heard that the engine was going to be pre-lubed, I knew they were gonna run it. My job was to make sure that too much water didn't come in when we opened the air induction mast/snorkel.

Last edited:

tctractors

When I was at Collage we had a 9 pot Deltic engine to play with,1 task I had to do was remove the front gear chest exposing all the gears like a big Swiss Watch that linked all the drive ends to the common centre shaft, the gears I can recall had an untrue shine to them almost like stainless steel, on the front of the engine was a plate with some history of C.Napier and all the speed records held by the Napier engines, they seemed to cop the lot as there was Air, Land and Water speed records held for years.
tctractors

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Last edited:

tctractors

Thats the innards you see on the Deltic, the last time I looked at that lot it would have been 43 ish years ago, the engine had been pulled down so many times by students the nuts and studs all seemed worn out, we also had a Maybach (Spelling?) engine Ex Loco to play with, Voith and other Loco transmission units, this is well off topic now.
tctractors,
p.s. the 9 pot Deltic motor was I think 44 ltr in capacity, with the 18 pot = 88 ltr

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
What was the general torque pattern like head bolts etc for installing the cover and how long did it take?It would seem like a two man job at least.What a work of art,you have to love the challenge of timing such a beast.Thanks for sharing.Ron G

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
What amazes me is that the gear train is straight-cut gears and not helical. All things being equal you shouldn't be able to hear the noise of the engine over that whining of that lot ......

And I thought a Cat D346 had a lot of gears! What with the dual cam drives, one up each end of the engine, and the balance gears!

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Wow.....keeps the skeeters under control:))Ron G