• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Detroit 4-71 exhaust manifold temp question

Tugger2

Its not cheap generating your own power but sometimes its all you can do. Lots of stuff for sale out there on craigslist and face book. Seems like propane or natural gas run backup sets are are a deal to be had if your not stuck on burning diesel . Im looking for backup power for home ,but i like diesel and want single phase around 15KW. Theres better advice than from me in the generator section here. Heres something i saw on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...40a799-3693-44dc-8ec5-27fdb4a614e5&__tn__=!:D

Welder Dave

Propane could work. That generator looks like new. I see lots of used smaller Kubota powered gen sets usually from rental outfits. Anywhere from about 12,000 hours to over 20,000. How long do gen sets normally go with good maintainence?

Tugger2

Years ago up in camp we had a 250KW set Volvo powered that was over 39000 hrs.
Of course buying used is a crap shoot . Seems redundant backup sets from instutional buildings are a good start to look at. Better get over to the generator page and talk with the guys that know

Welder Dave

The shop that did my engine did a huge old Cat engine in a gen set. It powered a drilling rig and apparently those engines can go 50,000 hours! I think it was a $100K rebuild.