• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Detroit 3-71 fuel shut off problems

rayman

Don't fiddle with any adjustments if you don't have a timing tool. You can remove the units (one at a time) and just hold it in your hand, push the rack in and out, sqirt some WD 40 in and jiggle. Sticking problems are generally caused by water in the fuel. I was called to a machine that had sat over a weekend and one unit was jammed as tight as. It had to be replaced.

lantraxco

You haven't lived until you've had a 6-71 injector rack stick near full fuel, which means they ALL are near full fuel, and since the governor can't cut her back, the revs just keep climbing...... Judicious use of high gear and the clutch prior to yanking the emergency stop got it done, but not before I lost a year off my life...

Of course I've heard stories of 8V-71's running away first firing after install in a truck and the mechanics beating a hasty retreat, that must have been something to hear, before the rod bolts let go....

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
This past winter on a quite normal 10 degree F day I was starting my 4-71 in my old log processor. It did not start right up with the normal shot of ether as it normally does down to about -0. I gave it some more and nothing. After messing around for 15 minutes and hooking up jumper cables as the batteries were going down, I grabbed a different can of starting fluid. That 4-71 fired instantly and ran screamming wild. I have never heard a Detroit scream like it was. I was standing up on the engine platform and had nothing to choke it down with. Could not reach the emergency shutoff. It ran crazy for probably 20 to 30 seconds before slowing down. Seemed longer. When looking at the original can of starting fluid it was some crap diluted down for "safe with all fuel injected vehicles". It layed in the intake and did not burn until the engine started on the good stuff. How that engine held togather is beyond me. I was expecting a connecting rod to fly thru me. Word to the wise is to insure you got real starting fluid and not some crap that burns only after the engine is running.